Backing out of a deal

Just Simba

17 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

The R100k low ball was the nail in the coffin for me. "farkoff" would have been my response to be honest. 

I see no harm in starting with a low offer to start and then get to something agreeable, a "thanks but no thanks" would be a perfectly acceptable response ... :) .

Edited by TheoG

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I see no harm in starting with a low offer to and then get to something agreeable, a "thanks but no thanks" would be a perfectly acceptable response ... :) .

Yea the deal went 125k so the 100k was just opening the door for negotiations.

41 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Agree, that's where I would have drawn the line.  Disrespectful communication and that with someone you don't even know.

I guess it depends on the individual and what you consider as colloquialism - I'd have laughed it off. Cheeky lowball offers deserve cheeky comebacks - no need to take offense. 

If he responded with GFY, well then it would've been considered rude.

Edited by stefmeister

39 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I see no harm in starting with a low offer to start and then get to something agreeable, a "thanks but no thanks" would be a perfectly acceptable response ... :) .

I don't enjoy the bargaining system. If everyone just bought into listing prices that they thought were fair and lowering them as they saw fit it would be so much nicer than getting offered 50% or less of what you are asking constantly, even on ads where you say non-negotiable.

Instead I find I inflate my price to account for the lowballers so they feel like they got a good deal. It's easier to just buy into it than fight it. I'd like to be able to list something for X, because it is worth X to me, and for anything less I would rather hang onto it or wait for someone who sees the same value. I reckon on average this would result in lower prices for everyone and more sales. 

14 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

I guess it depends on the individual and what you consider as colloquialism - I'd have laughed it off. Cheeky lowball offers deserve cheeky comebacks - no need to take offense. 

If someone offers me x-30% cash today I usually say x+30% cash later in the week... lol

3 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I don't enjoy the bargaining system. If everyone just bought into listing prices that they thought were fair and lowering them as they saw fit it would be so much nicer than getting offered 50% or less of what you are asking constantly, even on ads where you say non-negotiable.

Instead I find I inflate my price to account for the lowballers so they feel like they got a good deal. It's easier to just buy into it than fight it. I'd like to be able to list something for X, because it is worth X to me, and for anything less I would rather hang onto it or wait for someone who sees the same value. I reckon on average this would result in lower prices for everyone and more sales. 

Offering 50% or less is ridiculous, agree 100%, but It work both ways, if you over price I'm definitely going to "under offer".  If most just price realistically, then there is no need for a low offer.  If you say "not negotiable" and the price is to high for me, I will ignore and move on.

I normally do my homework on prices and many times payed exactly what was asked, but also a number of times offered lower because the price was simply to high, if you don't like the offer so be it, and move on.

30 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, but some of you have stalker skills that leave me with more questions than answers.

Some people are just sharp like a Silky saw.

Having read this saga, if I was on the jury I'd find in favour of the OP. Agreed that communication could have been slightly better but the overall facts to me are:

• The buyer and seller agreed terms. 
  • The buyer said he'd pay a deposit. He paid this deposit over and the banks on both sides confirmed that the money was in the seller's account. Okay he didn't send POP but as he pointed out and others have backed up, instant payment means the money clears in at most several hours. Usually less. So the money would have been in Wade's account within hours. I think the seller was playing fast and loose with the truth when he said the money wasn't reflecting as a delay tactic or something. There's something fishy going on there because after saying he didn't get the money, suddenly he refunds the buyer! Hmmm!?????
  • The seller behaved in a poor fashion, throwing insults and getting difficult when the buyer started asking about why he was backing out of the deal which to me is a sign of a guilty person.  Reading that thread, I think the buyer was justified in feeling pissed when the seller starting playing games.  If I had been the seller and got a better offer, I think the only reasonable thing to do is tell the new buyer that he's got first dibs if the original deal falls through. But terms had been agreed and deposit paid. Deal is sealed unless buyer reneges on 2nd part of the payment. 

At the end of the day, the money has been refunded so nobody was "scammed". The buyer is understandably disappointed both that he didn't get the bike he wanted (which of us wouldn't be bleak not to get your dream bike - you feel like Christmas morning!) and in Wade's behaviour.  Wade is guilty of being a dick - that's my verdict!

Just as a reference, I have made a few instant payments which have taken a day or 2 to clear. I have also received instant payments that take a day or 2. On the other hand I make several std payments which go through within half an hour. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:33 AM, FreeSoul said:

I build banking systems and RTC (real time clearing) or Express clearing is almost instance and governed by PASA. Wade it talking **** that the monies did not hit his account. Worst case scenario, it would have been flagged as fraudulent and the bank would have called either parties to confirm. In my mind, he was delaying.

I beg to differ.

Standard Bank usually have a 4 day clearing period, especially if it's a once off transaction on a Friday. I have bought quite a bit of stuff on the Hub and often done payments from Std Bank before a weekend, sending the pop to the seller, but the money only clears 4 days later.

I have felt so bad on a few occasions that I've gone back to the seller, paid cash, and waited for them to eft my money back to me

19 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Had to google who Brooke Logan is.....

I can now confirm that this comment is the most truth spoken on the entire thread ????

sure you did.  righhhhhht!

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

Agree, that's where I would have drawn the line.  Disrespectful communication and that with someone you don't even know.

1953 called and is asking for its namby pamby communications back

2 hours ago, stefmeister said:

lol - on this platform?  Perish the thought!