Fox Float vs Rockshox Revelation

TheoG

Looking for advice please.

Currently have a 2013 Fox 32 Float 29 100 FIT Dual Remote CTD Factory Series - 100mm.

I'm considering to get a fork with more travel.  I like the Fox Float and it certainly is very light and would prefer to stay with Fox.

However, would it be a mistake to consider a 2016 Rockshox Revelation - 140mm?

I don't know Rockshox forks very well, hence the reason for asking.

Edited by TheoG

The RS revelation shares the same 35 mm "chassis" as the Pike, iirc. 

Just the damper that's different, motion control vs charger dampers. Doubt the air springs are the same, although I have seen debonairs on the yari (which is the "revelation" of the lyrik).

The fox 32 is already a noodle, at 140 mm the 35 mm stanchions on the RS will be miles ahead.

Edited by stefmeister

Fitting a 40mm longer fork to your bike will have a severe impact on handling. Climbing will become more of a challenge with a shorter effective top tube and slacker seat tube angle. Cornering will be worse as a result of a higher BB. Downhill might be a bit better, but you'd be better off getting a bike designed around that much travel. 

Agree with Bob, 40mm is going to be too much change, also, the 2016 Revelation had 32mm stanchions iirc, I had one on my old Stumpy, it wasnt a very good fork, very flexy and always felt quite harsh

Are you certain that the travel on your current fork can’t be extended to 120 mm? As far as I know 120 mm is longest any of the 29er Fox Float 32s get to. In some cases the shorter versions (80 mm, 100 mm) might be exactly the same as the 120 mm but with some travel reducing spacers installed. If you remove those you can get up to the 120 mm maximum. See https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=572 for the procedure. A lot of the older entry- and mid-level RockShox forks also worked this way. It’s not a big job to open it up to check.

Otherwise you might be able to replace the air spring with a longer one, though I’m not sure how easy it would be to find. If you can’t verify this all for yourself then any of the suspension service centres should be able to, or try speaking to Omnico directly or through your local bike shop.

However, something like a newer Fox Float 34 would be a nicer option than the above, but obviously there’s a big price difference, and finding one could be a challenge. If you do get a new fork I would suggest going bigger than 32 mm stanchions.

24 minutes ago, Nuffy said:

Are you certain that the travel on your current fork can’t be extended to 120 mm? As far as I know 120 mm is longest any of the 29er Fox Float 32s get to. In some cases the shorter versions (80 mm, 100 mm) might be exactly the same as the 120 mm but with some travel reducing spacers installed. If you remove those you can get up to the 120 mm maximum. See https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=572 for the procedure. A lot of the older entry- and mid-level RockShox forks also worked this way. It’s not a big job to open it up to check.

Otherwise you might be able to replace the air spring with a longer one, though I’m not sure how easy it would be to find. If you can’t verify this all for yourself then any of the suspension service centres should be able to, or try speaking to Omnico directly or through your local bike shop.

However, something like a newer Fox Float 34 would be a nicer option than the above, but obviously there’s a big price difference, and finding one could be a challenge. If you do get a new fork I would suggest going bigger than 32 mm stanchions.

Thanks.  I am busy investigating if its possible to modify my existing fork to 120mm.  If not, yes I will look for a 34 120mm.

Edited by TheoG

Of course the travel change also works the other way: you could get the Revelation and reduce that to 120 mm. But if it’s the older version with 32 mm stanchions as @Chadvdw67 points out it would probably be a downgrade from your Fox.

Just got an confirmation email from Fox service.  Unfortunately my shock is 80-100mm only, so need to look for a replacement ????.

I've got a 2015 Fox 32 100mm with CTD. I mailed Fox with the serial no and was told I can't increase travel to 120mm. Seems RS are far more adaptable.