Shimano 11 speed shifter for MTB

Black Line

23 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

That Archer unit looks cool!

It is, went for a ride yesterday, shifting is perfect & smooth even under load.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alouette3 said:

Not true, this is the reference paragraph to the table posted:

"Cassette standards differ by number of speeds, i.e. by the number of sprockets on a cassette. Generally: the more speeds (sprockets), the thinner a single sprocket gets and the more densely they are packed (less distance between adjacent sprockets). Distance between the middles of two adjacent sprockets is called “cassette pitch” (different from sprocket pitch, that defines adjacent teeth distance)."

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/3573/bicycle-cassette-rear-chainrings-standards/

Whether a derailleur and shifter will work together is dependent on the cable pull ratios 

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Though in the real world some of the combinations listed in the above article not to work, do actualy work just fine. 

Originally I commented that you can use 11 speed SRAM shifter with 11 speed Shimano Derailleur. The post above was referring to 11 speed MTB only. I never commented on cassettes.

Sorry. I need to clarify. You guys are correct, the pull ratios are different. I built an E-Bike and ended up using XT 10 speed shifter and rear mech on a 7 speed cassette. We chopped and changed on that build so much that I was under the impression that the shifter was a 7 speed. This is not true, I used the 10 speed shifter as well.