Downhill/Enduro trails in the western cape.

Mtb_luka

Hey guys just thought I’d start to make a list of every gravity trail I can find in the western cape, for those like me who get bored of riding the same old same old.

I’ll try add locations and stuff but feel free to add any and maybe keep secret spots locations on the down low. ;)

Contermanskloof: The mast down to revised. 

Or the mast down black rhino 1 and 2 into happy hops. 

Or super tubes into Enduro line. Then finish with lower black rhino or die kloof. 

And if you want, the dh track. But too short and over quick to be worth the pedal up. Also moerse steep and gives me the grillies. 

Hoogekraal is really flow trails. Pretty dangerous at speed though. 

@thermophage knows some lekker Cape Town/Table Mountain ones. 

1 hour ago, Mtb_luka said:

the same old same old

Doubt you're going to find what you're looking for on this forum. There are a couple of sneaky fun spots in and around CT to enjoy, but if you want good gravity riding in WC, I'd suggest a trip out towards George - the riding around there, especially the not strictly legal stuff but also not as illegal bombing most of Table Mountain, is amazing. 

7 hours ago, Adr!@n said:

Doubt you're going to find what you're looking for on this forum. There are a couple of sneaky fun spots in and around CT to enjoy, but if you want good gravity riding in WC, I'd suggest a trip out towards George - the riding around there, especially the not strictly legal stuff but also not as illegal bombing most of Table Mountain, is amazing. 

Where specifically in George? I'll be around there end of Nov, so would be keen to check out new spots.

9 hours ago, Mtb_luka said:

Hey guys just thought I’d start to make a list of every gravity trail I can find in the western cape, for those like me who get bored of riding the same old same old.

I’ll try add locations and stuff but feel free to add any and maybe keep secret spots locations on the down low. ;)

Jonkershoek is the obvious place to go to, and Tokai of course.

Paarl Taalmonument DH track is lekker if you've got someone who can shuttle you. Nice thing about the trails is that you can mix it up the whole time, so every run will not be the same.

Helderberg trails are also sweet, perhaps a bit short for all the climbing involved.

Delvera estate (Dirtopia) had a few nice trails as well (although I haven't been there in ages), other side of the R44 on Muratie's side is mostly just flowy trails.

Boschendal and the rest of the trails in that valley are mostly flow trails, but still fun. Flowy berms and a few jumps and drops.

A few Enduro events took place at Wellington's Wild Boar trails which are more natural old school trails (i.e little to no features), also haven't been there in ages, so not sure if anything has changed.

I heard Hellsend Dirt Compound (in Stellenbosch) is a destination

I need to head out there someday

Just now, YaseenEnos said:

I heard Hellsend Dirt Compound (in Stellenbosch) is a destination

I need to head out there someday

Yes I have ridden that. Very lekker

Yeah there's min at Tygerberm, maybe Main DH, by itself, or into Revised, Black Rhino is more of a flow trail really and the rest of the entire network is all flow trail. Dont' get me wrong, but oldies will probably know...Flow is fun, but it just gets bloody sterile when nigh every trail you have is flow.

Yes, come at me sheeple if you like.

We unfortunately have a lot of Blue trails advertising themselves as Black and it's mildly annoying as it really does nothing for the sport but stifle progression of upcoming riders.

For official trails, Jonkers really, Iron Monkey and Plumber if you would like a reasonable challenge, unfortunately Status Quo is dead as we speak.

Hellsend I hear good things of.

Tokai had Main DH into All Mountain or full Main DH. Snakes are super fun, but apart from the top level (Cobra) the others are also all flow trails and have had work done to make them better suited to the bikes from the early 2000's.

TM has a bunch of great shorter trails, very steep in places and very natural. Don't expect a catch berm, expect to have to work to corner etc. the Glen is in need of some work at present. A great trail that, but the fire a few years back higher up slope has meant that in the rainy season there is a tonne of sheetwash coming down it and destroying things. So hopefully we can get in there soon and do a little digging and divert a few sections. The rain is getting better as the vegetation grows back at least.

George...a special place for certain. Good mix of trail types, natural where the trail lends itself to it, catch berms where needed, then a few flow trails thrown in and the odd (cough ... maybe more than a few) natural/hiking trail to cruise down.

Heading there for the long weekend coming up again :) Long time coming and now there's the enduro race there as well. So Fri before will be more a explore mission etc :D

My 6c worth