Cycling SA's view on mass cycling events going forward

pedal menace

Hmmm....saw this posted yesterday.

https://www.cyclingsa.com/covid-19-update-mass-participation-events/

So if this is the new norm - we will have events but you can only participate if are fully vaccinated or have a negative test 24 hours prior. How do you enforce this? Will it imply you must show up for race registration? In the past we often had a buddy collecting a whole bunch of numbers (cycling expo's have become a few stalls selling energy drinks). 

What do you think? I am certainly happy with events more likely now to go ahead - but is it feasible? 

I agree - a line has to be drawn. But reality is our vaccination rate is still low. If this gets strictly enforced with immediate affect - it may result in low attendance (at lest initially) - just my view. Still not sure how organizers will enforce this - other than demanding you yourself must show up at registration. 

I guess citing 'the good old days' has become moot.

How organisers choose to enforce this is up to them. Perhaps the entry process will involve a cross pollination with the vaccinated digital database. 

That would be 'step 1' with a 'step 2' to be followed if you are not part of said database.

If it's 6 fully vaccinated entries, I'm sure your tjommie can still pick them up. I guess the issue comes in with those who need to present a valid 'negative' test.

Before we jump on the 'vaccines don't stop the spread' train, we must all appreciate that by entering a mass participation event, you are immediately acknowledging the risk. Those who have chosen not to be vaccinated also accept that risk. NOTHING we do will be 'risk free' so they are trying to figure out a way to appease the outcome of that risk.

If the 'data' is to be believed, if Rona spreads through a field of vaccinated, fit people, there 'should' be very few hospitalizations. 

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess citing 'the good old days' has become moot.

How organisers choose to enforce this is up to them. Perhaps the entry process will involve a cross pollination with the vaccinated digital database. 

That would be 'step 1' with a 'step 2' to be followed if you are not part of said database.

Yep, my thinking too. You enter with your ID number and the system goes to the Vaccination database to check your status. If not there, "please jump through hoops 1,2,3,4..."

Electronic Vaccination "Proof" is supposedly ready to go live at the end of SEPT, so allowing for teething issues, useable by end of Oct. ????‍♂️