Chain issue

TheoG

Anyone else had this before?  A single roller missing on my 12sp Shimano XTR chain with less than 500km on it ...

Discovered this unwelcome surprise while busy washing my bike today ...

And no its not the quick-link .... :).  Not sure if I should replace the chain or not, don't think it can do serious damage?

image.png.ee316177bd828d520d3786ab3ec57694.png

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think this could cause damage would rather be safe than sorry. Not sure about your current chain length but is it not possible to do drop the link and add a quick link in there to be safe.

Edited by warick_wrx

2 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

I would think this could cause damage would rather be safe than sorry. Not sure about your current chain length but is it not possible to do drop the link and add a quick link in there to be safe.

Yes, that’d work

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

How even?

Its definitely not supposed to do that if it has less than 500kms on it, maybe its a factory fault?

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

How even?

My question exactly.  Was very befuddled when I saw it, can not even fathom how that happened.

9 hours ago, Ernst Kromhout said:

Its definitely not supposed to do that if it has less than 500kms on it, maybe its a factory fault?

That's probably the only logical explanation, I cant see how a single roller can come of even if it was cracked.

12 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

Yes thanks, I think I can get away with the chain a bit shorter.  That would be my first course of action.

Edited by TheoG

If you don’t come right you can let me know. I have short piece of XTR 12spd chain i can donate if you want to patch it in with a quick link. 

Im a bit far from you though. Centurion

Edited by Steady Spin

Just now, Steady Spin said:

If you don’t come right you can let me know. I have short piece of XTR 12spd chain i can donate if you want to patch it in with a quick link. 

Thanks for the offer, will definitely take you up on it if my chain is going to be too short.

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Just add a roller, I will be able to assist you with that. 

Intresting ! are replacemnt pins availale now for 12 speed chains ? when I looked a while ago I could not find anything. I would definitely not attempt to to reuse a pin.

Edited by warick_wrx

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Just add a roller, I will be able to assist you with that. 

100%, that's exactly what I did, partially pushed out the hollow pin, replaced the roller with one lying around and pressed the pin back in.  Still nice and tight, so bob is is your uncle ... :) .

3 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

Intresting ! are replacemnt pins availale now for 12 speed chains ? when I looked a while ago I could not find anything. I would definitely not attempt to to reuse a pin.

No such thing exists. I recycled a pin before with no issues. 

Best to patch in a quicklink. 

44 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

No such thing exists. I recycled a pin before with no issues. 

Best to patch in a quicklink. 

The pins on the chain are not designed for to be reused !