Chain issue

TheoG

36 minutes ago, warick_wrx said:

The pins on the chain are not designed for to be reused ! 

Its designed to support the roller and also via a press-fit into the side plates hold the link together.  As long as a decent press-fit is maintained to prevent the pin from coming out either end of the side-plates, it will work just fine to re-use a pin.  If the pin was pushed out completely, it becomes difficult to get it pressed in properly again, in that case only I will agree with you.

Rather combine what you are told by others with some common sense also.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's only got 500km on, it's probably less than 6 months old. If I am not mistaken, the chain is therefore by law still under warranty. Ask the supplier to replace it. It's clearly a factory defect. Rollers don't simply fall off.

Edited by MudLark

1 hour ago, MudLark said:

If it's only got 500km on, it's probable less than 6 months old. If I am not mistaken, the chain is therefore by law still under warranty. Ask the supplier to replace it. It's clearly a factory defects. Rollers don't simply fall off.

Oh I see you've never warrantied Shimano before....????

38 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Oh I see you've never warrantied Shimano before....????

True. But I was thinking of the Consumer Protection Act. Supplier doesn't have a choice AFAIK.

10 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I know. I do strange things to my bike. 

Makes 2 of us, and it mostly work ....  ????????

Edited by TheoG

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

give it a try.... they may surprise me

CGSO complaint costs nothing. Hard to see in a case like this how you won't come right.

12 minutes ago, MudLark said:

CGSO complaint costs nothing. Hard to see in a case like this how you won't come right.

If I didn't have a workable solution I for sure would have done this.  I'm pretty sure its "fixed" and would last just as long as any other same chain.

I also have a brand new (still in package) one to replace this one if my repair turned out to be a k@k idea.

Any time in future I replace a chain, will for sure check the chain link by link before install. 

Edited by TheoG

13 minutes ago, TheoG said:

If I didn't have a workable solution I for sure would have done this.  I'm pretty sure its "fixed" and would last just as long as any other same chain.

I also have a brand new (still in package) one to replace this one if my repair turned out to be a k@k idea.

Any time in future I replace a chain, will for sure check the chain link by link before install. 

Theo, it's obviously your call. As long as you're sure that pin won't move (dislocate). If it does, you really don't want to be up on the pedals when it happens. Me personally, I'd rather toss the chain. The few hundred Rand IMHO isn't worth any kind of risk. But your engineering skills are likely better than mine too.

Not sure this type of defect will be visible with inspection by the naked eye. Suspect there was a materials defect and that roller cracked and dropped out. Unusual though and probably quite a rare thing to happen.

Edited by MudLark

13 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Theo, it's obviously your call. As long as you're sure that pin won't move (dislocate). If it does, you really don't want to be up on the pedals when it happens. Me personally, I'd rather toss the chain. The few hundred Rand IMHO isn't worth any kind of risk. But your engineering skills are likely better than mine too.

Not sure this type of defect will be visible with inspection by the naked eye. Suspect there was a materials defect and that roller cracked and dropped out. Unusual though and probably quite a rare thing to happen.

I had this well and truly in mind, had to many unfortunate incidents lately, definitely don't want another.  That being said, the pin went in very tightly, I cant see it coming out (touch wood).  During the first ride, I will gradually increase force/power on it, until I trust it 100%.

Normally my pedaling style is smooth and I'm not into any crazy stuff.  After I hit 50 quickly realized the body simply cant do what it used to, so just take it somewhat easier .... :).

Edited by TheoG

8 minutes ago, TheoG said:

After I hit 50 quickly realized the body simply cant do what it used to, so just take it somewhat easier .... :).

Makes two of us! 

I did my “pin-ectomy” in December last year and no ill has befallen me. 

I’d like to think I put down a lot of power with sprints and quick steep climbs. 

Luck? Maybe 

Older 6/7/8 speed chains I've had no trouble reusing the pins, on the newer narrow chain I've had less luck and had it split open at the link after a couple rides. After that I stick to master links or quicklinks.

Master links have little lips in them to retain the links. You can often see this as a little ring of metal that pulls off when pushing a link out of a chain.

So in theory it could work reusing the pins, but probably not worth it for the absolute pain of a chain breaking on a ride.

3 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

So in theory it could work reusing the pins, but probably not worth it for the absolute pain of a chain breaking on a ride.

Couldn't agree more.

11 hours ago, MudLark said:

been riding a bicycle since 1975....I've never seen a failure like that you experienced with your chain.