Munga Grit Cradle 2021

TyronLab

So I've been offered an entry into the Munga Grit Cradle 2021 by a friend who has a sponsored position open. 

Now, I've been threatening to enter this race since it was announced as I'd love to do it, hoping that it'd push me to enter the full fat Munga, but funds for the entry haven't been on my side so far.

So I'm super excited about this opportunity, but I'm not exactly trained to peak fitness at the moment and its two weeks away. I can probably go out and do a 100km gravel ride with some mild/easy climbing in 5 or less hours or do a 2h45m Suikerbosrand loop at this stage for some context. I wouldn't be looking at getting onto the podium, just finishing (even looking like death at 49hr59m, I don't mind). I've completed a Transbaviaans before (with a very unfit teammate) in 18hr. According to Intervals.icu I was at a prak of 45 fitness then, 37 before the race, and I'm at 30 now. People generally consider me a relatively tough SOB (with a hairy 13 year old's face).

I also only have a gravel bike at this stage (a Rook Scout) that I've slapped some 48mm wide GravelKings onto and converted to tubeless.

So, to the questions / advice from those with maybe some more experience:

Am I mad for even considering this at my current fitness?

How possible is this ride on a gravel bike? Keep in mind I ride a lot of MTB trails on my gravel bike so I'm used to pushing it out of its intended scope.

What are the basic supplies/equipment I need to consider? I already have some Trans ready lights, probably need to slap a bottle cage or two extra to the scout. Pretty sure with some charging at race villages I could stretch my 735xt watch to do the whole race, and I'd probably use my phone for navigation. Can borrow a prpper Garmin cycling computer if need be.

Any comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Edited by TyronLab

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a smooth gravel race - don't be fooled. A friend did it last year and he was very strong before the race. He could easily ride 200km. He just finished and was broken after the race. It is apparently a very rough rocky route.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, TyronLab said:

I wouldn't be looking at getting onto the podium, just finishing (even looking like death at 49hr59m, I don't mind). 

You've probably answered yourself already... See you on the start line.

Did it last year and glad I opted for MTB instead of gravel bike.

Definitely not gravel friendly. If its not rocks its sand so rather use an MTB duel sus if you have one.

Its a tough race but if you are just racing the cutoff it can be done. Just sit with the grupetto at the back they'll pace you in.

Recommend rather using a Garmin with a battery bank. The Baviaans lights should work fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! I'm definitely not unaware that there's a mammoth task ahead of me and that I'm going to be in the deepest hurt locker I've ever been in. Luckily, that still sounds like fun!

I only have the gravel bike at the moment, so I'll be throwing on a 48mm rear tyre to match the front one for a bit more cush, and a wider gravel bar for some more hand position options. Other than that, a saddle and top-tube bag, two extra bottle cage mounts (going to be using the luggage rack space on the fork for those), power bank and a spare light battery are what I'm planning on procuring. Oh, and borrowing a proper cycling GPS from a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

All the best for those that have just started their Grit journey.  It might be suspect weather but at least the rain has stopped - lets hope for a dry race from here on.  Wishing you all safe travels over the next 50 hours.....

2h30 in and the leaders have already passed the 50k mark.  Considering they still have 450k's to go they're certainly not hanging around.....

The rain played major havoc with a few guys decided to call it a day. One of my friends were riding and what seemed to a puddle was a somewhat deep hole, they also had some smallish hail along the route. I think with the weather this year made the challenge extra tough.