Damn, Threads get closed down quickly these days!

Dicky DQ

58 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

It's such a crap situation for me (assuming you're quoting me). I want to be part of the community of BikeHub, but hate how the community is being "managed" and controlled and told what they can and can't do, and how the desires of the actual "community members" are completely overlooked and ignored. Look at the "Petition to bring back comments on the classifieds" thread. Clearly, the community wants comments, but a decision was made against that. Look at the "End of non-cycling related content" thread - I think many threads were deleted that many many people would have preferred were left open, but that didn't matter. Look at all the threads that have been closed or deleted lately - it definitely wasn't at the request of the community.

The thing is, the forum participants do not make up the majority of the Bike Hub user base. While we do acknowledge and find it valuable, we can't blindly follow the commenters while ignoring feedback from the broader user base.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

image.png.e05629e327f53078b7682b71a648569d.png

Apparently unrelated banter is a reason to close a thread too? ????‍♂️ If memory serves, there was nothing nasty or out of order in those 3 - 4 pages of banter, only jokes and silly comments.and doxing and insulting personal remarks and the usual trash talking by certain individuals that passes for 'banter and silly comments' on here .

sorry fellas im with the Admin this is cycling if you want the other stuff the internet is infinite ......

52 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

As much as I miss some off topic threads, these recent threads once again show how each and every forum "suffers" due to 0,1% of its members.

Some people simply can not refrain from "playing the man, instead of playing the ball".

Seen the same pattern again and again on a number of forums over the last decade.  The s.h.1.t stirrers just keep at it .... the moderators clamp down more and more .... and The Hub has already lost some valuable contributors due to this .....

Seems this is just the nature of the beast.

Certainly NOT the moderators "fault" that certain threads are closed.  

8 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Unconstitutional,  on a private website lol ????

Not a private website, it is accessible by anyone, and is classed as public media. The fact that only "members" may comment is irrelevant. The fact that comments are deleted and opinions are disallowed is not strictly speaking legal.

Taken from the Constitution of South Africa:

16. Freedom of expression

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of expression, which includes-

(a) freedom of the press and other media;

(b) freedom to receive or impart information or ideas;

2 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

image.png.e05629e327f53078b7682b71a648569d.png

Apparently unrelated banter is a reason to close a thread too? ????‍♂️ If memory serves, there was nothing nasty or out of order in those 3 - 4 pages of banter, only jokes and silly comments. Apparently, no politics, religion, current affairs, or unrelated banter is allowed on this site. 

And of the other 3 reasons for closing the thread in question, apparently we can only discuss transactions that originate on BikeHub, and if the people involved in that transaction are banned, then the thread gets closed too. I assume if @TDFN gets banned, this thread will get closed too (it'll probably get closed in any case though). I understand why the buyer and seller were banned, but that's not necessarily a reason to close thread in my opinion. Seen as the admins were happy to share that the guys were banned, they could have just let everyone posting on the thread that the guys were banned and left the thread open and allow it to fizzle, rather than basically saying "we won't allow you talk about this anymore". 

I wasn't able to ask questions of Matt before the thread asking why threads are closed, was also closed. Apparently that's also not allowed. 

and don't forget the Lewis Shamilton bashing. I'm here purely for that

55 minutes ago, King_Crispy said:

Not a private website, it is accessible by anyone, and is classed as public media. The fact that only "members" may comment is irrelevant. The fact that comments are deleted and opinions are disallowed is not strictly speaking legal.

We agreed to BikeHub T&C when joining not the Constitution. If the 0.1% can't live with that they can log out as easy as they log in.

1 hour ago, King_Crispy said:

Don’t forget to you need to add section 36 too as they are interlinked.

Furthermore, section 36 of the Constitution makes provision for the limitation of the right to freedom of expression to the extent that the limitation is reasonable and justifiable in an open and democratic society based on human dignity, equality and freedom.

10 hours ago, porqui said:

Sad thing is that bikehub is a far cry from what it used to be.

That is a fact not an opinion.

Unfortunately, this is probably what I am lamenting with my opening post.

We went from what I believed was a social gathering place for cyclists, that allowed members/users to sell stuff to an online classified advertisement website. period!

This is such a shame as it was a place I came to to shoot the cycling/non cycling breeze with like minded individuals. Which is such a shame as I believe that was also what brought Bike Hub to what it is today; but so be it, I was just raising a comment, which may or may not be closed down soon, proving the point.

21 hours ago, Trashy said:

So, you lost interest in the community aspect before the most recent changes started it towards a marketplace focused site, then returned to use the site for it's stated purpose, and complained about the changes....?

There is still plenty of scope to discuss cycling related content here, and we are occasionally also indulged in pitchfork brigades....

No, I lost interest BECAUSE of the changes, please don't put words in my mouth. I was a member for the start of Le Hub and lived through the great Crash etc.

But unfortunately I need to accept that this is now purely a cycling gumtree. Fine I will use it as such, which is why I returned to look for a bike and started browsing around to see what was going on and saw that it had just become more draconian in its moderation. 

I was just commenting on how sad this is.

1 hour ago, TDFN said:

No, I lost interest BECAUSE of the changes, please don't put words in my mouth. I was a member for the start of Le Hub and lived through the great Crash etc.

But unfortunately I need to accept that this is now purely a cycling gumtree. Fine I will use it as such, which is why I returned to look for a bike and started browsing around to see what was going on and saw that it had just become more draconian in its moderation. 

I was just commenting on how sad this is.

I get you 100% but it is never to late for change. The old one bad apple thingie. A community is only as its member allow it to be. Clean up the community and things start to look better.

I stopped posting on bikehub for over a year after 2 threads p1ssed me off to such an extent that I found my fingers stomping out enraged missives to other faceless muppets who I wouldn't even recognise if they rode past me waving. 

Frankly I prefer the way things are. I'm not likely to read any of the drivel that brings on the red mist and I'm more likely to keep my opinions on non cycling stuff to myself. 

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I stopped posting on bikehub for over a year after 2 threads p1ssed me off to such an extent that I found my fingers stomping out enraged missives to other faceless muppets who I wouldn't even recognise if they rode past me waving. 

Frankly I prefer the way things are. I'm not likely to read any of the drivel that brings on the red mist and I'm more likely to keep my opinions on non cycling stuff to myself. 

Nothing wrong with walking away. It's Muppets that didn't that put us into todays situation. 

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

not saying you're wrong...but clearly some people (me in the past too) take the Hub way too seriously....feeling their freedom of speech is taken away etc...at the end of the day it's really simple, if you don't like the way Admin runs it, leave?