Durbie Dash 2021

jViljoen

16 October 2021!

We've teased you for long enough now, our entries are finally open!

The Durbie Dash, presented by the Durbanville High School, is more than a fundraising event; it offers participants a wide range of activities and caters for Road racing and Mountain biking through the beautiful Tygerberg Hills and Renosterveld areas. All routes are well marshalled and water points well stocked.
Participants can choose between two road races (90 km and 46 km) and three mountain bike races (MTB) routes (60km, 45km & 25 km). For the first time will E-bikes be accommodated in the Road 46km and MTB 25km distances.

90km Road and 60km Mountain Bike distances are seeding events for 2022 Cape Town Cycle Tour. 

You can find out more and enter the event on our website.
www.durbiedash.co.za

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to share info on the 60km MTB event? Doable on minimal training or is it a sufferfest?

1 hour ago, TCTG said:

Anyone care to share info on the 60km MTB event? Doable on minimal training or is it a sufferfest?

GRAVELABLE??

10 hours ago, TCTG said:

8 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

GRAVELABLE??

Usually they use the Tygerberg mtb routes with a few additions. Route must still be determined but I expect it to be tough with lots of climbing and not gravelable

9 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

GRAVELABLE??

Doubt it, come do the road event man

spacer.png

Looks like the only single tracks are a tiny bit of supertubes at conties (gravelable), hoogekraal cobra + trail z, (the cobra on a gravel bike seems a bit of a challenge, trail z probably more doable but still challenging I wouldn’t risk it and I’ve done these trails a million times ????) then bloemendaaler at the end, I reckon it's 95% gravelable for a very skilled person, but the very few singletrakcs there is are probably going to slow you down too much.

Edited by Jbr

23 hours ago, jViljoen said:
16 October 2021!

We've teased you for long enough now, our entries are finally open!

The Durbie Dash, presented by the Durbanville High School, is more than a fundraising event; it offers participants a wide range of activities and caters for Road racing and Mountain biking through the beautiful Tygerberg Hills and Renosterveld areas. All routes are well marshalled and water points well stocked.
Participants can choose between two road races (90 km and 46 km) and three mountain bike races (MTB) routes (60km, 45km & 25 km). For the first time will E-bikes be accommodated in the Road 46km and MTB 25km distances.

90km Road and 60km Mountain Bike distances are seeding events for 2022 Cape Town Cycle Tour. 

You can find out more and enter the event on our website.
www.durbiedash.co.za

Please offer discounted entries for Tygerberg Club members. You'll get a lot more entries that way. A lot of us are not willing to pay the full fee for trails we get to ride for free 364,5 days of the year.

The Mtb is a proper tough ride and includes the climb from meerendal right to the top of the conties mast in the last 15km.

Not much fun if you not fit. 

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

They say 1800m elevation, and yes it's all doable on a hardtail

thanks for that response....looks like I need some prepping to do

8 hours ago, Jbr said:

Doubt it, come do the road event man

spacer.png

Looks like the only single tracks are a tiny bit of supertubes at conties (gravelable), hoogekraal cobra + trail z, (the cobra on a gravel bike seems a bit of a challenge, trail z probably more doable but still challenging I wouldn’t risk it and I’ve done these trails a million times ????) then bloemendaaler at the end, I reckon it's 95% gravelable for a very skilled person, but the very few singletrakcs there is are probably going to slow you down too much.

Hopefully will do the road race. Depends how other racing options pan out. 

Gravelable for a skilled rider you say?? 100% count me OUT

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

They say 1800m elevation, and yes it's all doable on a hardtail

I am putting a lauf on my gravel bike, does that count as a hardtail?? It still has drop bars and skinnyish tyres :D 

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am putting a lauf on my gravel bike, does that count as a hardtail?? It still has drop bars and skinnyish tyres :D 

it is doable with a fixed fourk, it's more the drop bars/brakes that I would worry of going around some of the tighter/steeper switchbacks

• 3 weeks later...

I love this one, it can be very demanding though. Right now I am keeping my eye on yr.no before entering because the memory of a very wet and muddy Darling Brew is still fresh in my mind.

Still, this is an excellent ride that I love doing.