How do you feel about a bike shop putting their sticker on your bike?

Nuffy

How do you feel about a bike shop putting their sticker on your bike?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If you take your bike or suspension product for a service, how do you feel about the shop putting their sticker on it when they’re done?

• I’m happy to promote them on my bike. I’ll gladly leave it on.
    • I didn’t notice it and don’t care. Stickers won’t affect how I ride.
    • I don’t like it, but it’s just a sticker and I can take it off.
    • I don’t care who you are or how good your service was, NOBODY changes the appearance of my bike unless I specifically ask for it.

4 hours ago, Nuffy said:

Thanks for all the responses. I run a shop myself. I’ve never done this, as I would feel the same way as most of you – if I want a sticker on my bike I’ll put it there myself, thank you very much. But a couple of other shops in my area do it, and I feel violated on my customers’ behalf when I see the stickers on their bikes. Then I started wondering if maybe I was in the minority and my emotional reaction was unjustified. But the poll results and comments speak pretty clearly.

I do think, however, that if we polled all the customers from these shops the results would be a bit different. The fact that I see these stickers means the owners of the bikes didn’t notice them or mind enough to remove them. On average, Hubbers are probably more particular about their bikes and in tune with the details, and do more of their own work than the average shop customer.

Maybe a few stickers at the till .... the odd customer may want one ....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe a few stickers at the till .... the odd customer may want one ....

Yep, that’s a good idea. Some people do like stickers. Even if it goes on the tool box or bike rack that’s still good. And presumably people who take them voluntarily are more likely to use them and not bin them, so minimal wastage from the shop’s point of view.

4 hours ago, Nuffy said:

a couple of other shops in my area do it, and I feel violated on my customers’ behalf when I see the stickers on their bikes. Then I started wondering if maybe I was in the minority and my emotional reaction was unjustified.

Perhaps they are coming to you because they didn't like the other bike shops putting stickers on their bikes...

7 minutes ago, Nuffy said:

Yep, that’s a good idea. Some people do like stickers. Even if it goes on the tool box or bike rack that’s still good. And presumably people who take them voluntarily are more likely to use them and not bin them, so minimal wastage from the shop’s point of view.

Next time I get to my old man's house I'll take a pic of his cycling toolbox and post it here. Some stickers going back to the 70's.

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Next time I get to my old man's house I'll take a pic of his cycling toolbox and post it here. Some stickers going back to the 70's.

Please do!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually asked for one of the stickers at the till by Black Sheep Bikes this week that will be placed on my bike. This decision was based on (1) exceptional continual service and (2) the stickers are not overly large and in my mind look rather nice.

13 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Put a sticker on any on my NAGO's and you will die a slow death ????

But then again i don't allow any LBS to touch my bikes - But its Friday so I thought I'd make a statement ???? 

you just need to find the right LBS

If they are prepared to pay me for advertising their product on my bike or car then yes, if not, a definite no. 

I once took my bakkie for a new exhaust. The exhaust place put a sticker on the tail gate. Some weeks later, took the bakkie to have some rust removed and the tail gate resprayed. 

The panel beaters left the sticker, masked it off and sprayed around it. 

6 hours ago, Eugene said:

If they are prepared to pay me for advertising their product on my bike or car then yes, if not, a definite no. 

I once took my bakkie for a new exhaust. The exhaust place put a sticker on the tail gate. Some weeks later, took the bakkie to have some rust removed and the tail gate resprayed. 

The panel beaters left the sticker, masked it off and sprayed around it. 

PITCHA'S or it never happened!

On 10/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, Hairy said:

PITCHA'S or it never happened!

That bakkie is long gone. I couldn't keep up with the fuel bill. (2.4l Nissan). 

First ask or even better leave some stickers at the counter for free.If I am happy with the service I will take one and give you free advertising, but otherwise no dont plak things on my bike.