Calorie vs kJ

no calves

On 9/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, bleedToWin said:

Here's some more interesting formulas:

Energy as you know it for your house is measured in kWh, but the actual unit is Joule.

They standardized on a kilowatt-hour as the unit of (electricity) energy as it is equivalent to 3.6 megajoules. Imagine trying to workout your consumption by having to multiply it by 3.6? 

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

They standardized on a kilowatt-hour as the unit of (electricity) energy as it is equivalent to 3.6 megajoules. Imagine trying to workout your consumption by having to multiply it by 3.6? 

Yeah, it makes consumption calculations super easy. How much power does a 1kW microwave oven use when run on full power for 15min? 0.25kWh.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, bleedToWin said:

You might be pushing the limits of what your gut can handle. That sounds like 150g of carbs. Untrained I wouldn't go over 60g/h.
Also, with 2000Cal worth of glycogen stores (assuming you are not starting in a depleted state) you could do this 1h46 ride on just water if you wanted to. It's about what you did yesterday and what you are doing tomorrow and if you are trying to run a caloric deficit etc...

I struggle to eat on a bike. I just forget. Guess im having too much fun?????. But i tend to do this by nature…ill eat the lekker the day before and then breakfast and then probably only eat something 2 hours into a ride when i remember or start feeling sluggish ( which i get is probably too late lol) ive also over the past two years just gotten used to not having to drink anything before 2 hours into a ride. These days when i go for a 50km ish ride i don't even take a bottle. But i guess you have to be properly hydrated to start with. i dont really overthink it, it works for me and I havent bonked or cramped in a long time so i guess it’s fine. Not like im racing for the win or anything haha.

From what I’ve read, 120g/h is the most your system can digest, and that’s well adapted athletes. 

23 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I struggle to eat on a bike. I just forget. Guess im having too much fun?????. But i tend to do this by nature…ill eat the lekker the day before and then breakfast and then probably only eat something 2 hours into a ride when i remember or start feeling sluggish ( which i get is probably too late lol) ive also over the past two years just gotten used to not having to drink anything before 2 hours into a ride. These days when i go for a 50km ish ride i don't even take a bottle. But i guess you have to be properly hydrated to start with. i dont really overthink it, it works for me and I havent bonked or cramped in a long time so i guess it’s fine. Not like im racing for the win or anything haha.

How often do you do 4 or 5 hour rides of reasonably intensity?
Starting your energy intake 2 hours into a 3 hour ride is not that big a deal, but if it's a big ride you're playing with fire.

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

How often do you do 4 or 5 hour rides of reasonably intensity?
Starting your energy intake 2 hours into a 3 hour ride is not that big a deal, but if it's a big ride you're playing with fire.

Fire is fun though? Lol. 
once a month ish. Most of my rides are 30-50 but then generally at higher intensities.
But as I said. I just go by how I feel and adjust pace as required. I don't really overthink this stuff in general. Ive done 100km rides without eating too…then destroy a pizza and some beers afterwards????.  I honestly just forget to sometimes.  
And everything is moderate+ to me if I go by what my HR monitor says haha. 
I REALLY struggle to do ‘recovery ride’ pace. It feels unnatural. I just go at a pace  that feels comfortable. Most roads or hills have a natural cadence for me where it feels like you hitting the sweetspot. I try and stay there as long as possible.