Specialized launch the Tero, an everyday eMTB hardtail

News bot

Over the past year, millions around the world have turned to the bicycle for the physical, emotional, and practical benefits it provides. It’s the enhanced freedom, speed, joy, and convenience that are unlocked by the electric bike that positions it to be the most popular electric vehicle over the next decade. But to empower more everyday rides, we knew we had to conquer some pretty massive barriers, like riding together with cars, bike theft, and on-bike storage.

View full article

At that price point it may well steal customers from various other brands ....

Now to see the specs it is delivered with ....

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Definitely a very attractive and competitive price point

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

100%. Around the price of the new Titan E-bike hardtails.

I haven't compared the specs yet, but I suspect there may slightly lower spec here with the Big S than the equivalently-priced Titan.

10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Fork looks dodgy. R60k only seems good value because bike prices are ludicrous in general....

In terms of ebikes, the vast majority of hardtail options are now in the R50k+ range.  Even some "new entrants" to our market is now in the mid 50's.

So on a budget level the Specialized seems agressively priced.

SPECS ... this is going to be the interesting part to check bike by bike ....  Sadly, based on the R90k Levo's I expect very basic specs on this bike .... HOPE I am proved wrong.

Back to pricing .... the cost of a second battery really should be considered .....  R5k for some brands with smaller footprint in SA, in excess of R20k for a Specialized battery.

Personally .... the rear drive train will be the decider for me.  Rather a basic and rugged Deore type setup, but never a NS or SX on an ebike.  In fact THIS swayed my final selection when I bought my ebike.  I had to choose between XT or NS.  I did not want to spend ebike type money, to spend another wack of cash getting the drive train sorted.

18 hours ago, ChrisF said:

...Personally .... the rear drive train will be the decider for me.  Rather a basic and rugged Deore type setup, but never a NS or SX on an ebike...

Then you're not going to be happy with this Spez:

The Tero 3.0 seems to be specced with Alivio 9 speed, according to international sites ☹️  The pics above are of the higher-end 5.0 model.

10 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Then you're not going to be happy with this Spez:

The Tero 3.0 seems to be specced with Alivio 9 speed, according to international sites ☹️  The pics above are of the higher-end 5.0 model.

Even Alivio is way better than entry level sram :thumbup:

And for "ordinary use", as per their launch angle, a 9 speed is sufficient on an ebike.

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Even Alivio is way better than entry level sram :thumbup:

And for "ordinary use", as per their launch angle, a 9 speed is sufficient on an ebike.

Ok, I get that. I have nothing against lower-end Shimano. Used to use that for years myself.

But on a R60k bike, how much extra would it have cost to spec 12 spd Deore instead? As OEM with buying power, wouldn't it add about R4k vs the Alivio spec?
I know they're trying to hit a price point, but it always makes me think, regarding relative pricing, if you're paying R60k already, the extra spec you can get for a little more... 
(this isn't a R20k Signal basic hardtail)

On 9/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, ChrisF said:

JIP !