Curve GPS Tracker affecting my replacement hip

FirstV8

I use a Curve GPS tracker when i ride . Ive noticed that when i have it with me in my back pocket i have a niggling pain in my left leg were the replacement joint is . i have left it at home a few times and i dont get that irritation . Am i imagining that the signal that it emits is being absorbed by the metal joint and causing this irritation or as my wife said im looking for an excuse to say i sore after my ride ????   .Im expecting a lot of flack and maybe humorous ???? answers but i can take it . Lets hear from Hubbers 

14 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

I use a Curve GPS tracker when i ride . Ive noticed that when i have it with me in my back pocket i have a niggling pain in my left leg were the replacement joint is . i have left it at home a few times and i dont get that irritation . Am i imagining that the signal that it emits is being absorbed by the metal joint and causing this irritation or as my wife said im looking for an excuse to say i sore after my ride ????   .Im expecting a lot of flack and maybe humorous ???? answers but i can take it . Lets hear from Hubbers 

I don’t doubt your experience bruh.  Metal implants including internal defibrillators (pacemakers) are well known to have a strong potential of interaction with electromagnetic radiation and radio waves.  A long time ago it wasn’t unusual to hear about metallic dental amalgams receiving radio transmissions.  Some thought they were going off their heads, aka having misplaced their marbles. 

Surprisingly, there are very few studies involving electromagnetic radiation and passive implants like titanium orthotic implants (screw fasteners among others) yet there is overwhelming anecdotal evidence.  The effect can of course be more pronounced as the metal screws are inserted into the superior end of the femur (and the pelvis in some cases) which has loads of fluid (blood) circulating through it.  Of course you know what you’re experiencing mate.

Edited by justinafrika

Well GPS signal is emitted 24/7 all over the globe since the 80's, so if it was that signal it would have been researched by now. The receivers just read signal(which is a time measurement) and calculate a location from it. So it is not the GPS Signal.

The Curve itself transmits that location to a central server via gsm/cellphone network, again not even 5g causes stuff like this(sorry anti vaxxers).

The reality is that you probably put your cellphone in your front pocket right on your hip. Given that your phone has the exact same technology and signal in/outputs and sits even closer to you hip means that it is just a coincidental feeling you are having while cycling.

The counter to this is that it could be the particular route, a slight variance in temp or tyre pressure that is causing the pain. Maybe without your gps tracker you didn't ride as far etc.

It is easy to blame tech when you don't understand it. Chances are it is something far simpler causing the issue. 

V8 man, does it still happen if you put the tracker in a different location ?

Despite what someone else has said above, all electrical devices in operation have a electromagnetic field around them in some form or another, I do believe that with a prosthesis like yours it is entirely possible that it agitates some part of the prosthesis.  But I would think it would need to be really close to it to do this.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

… would need to be really close to it to do this.

… and back pocket is about as close to that joint as one can get.

As bizarre as it sounds, a well-known bike fitter Steve Hogg has proven that certain plastics affect ones proprioceptive feedback mechanism and can cause imbalances when riding. He specifically noted this affect on lateral hip position of some in-shoe wedges but also sunglasses and other plastic-based devices. He calls it "material challenges".

It's something to look into. Here's a link to an article. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/08/material-challenges-how-to-lessen-your-ability-to-coordinate-your-actions-without-being-aware-of-it/

The key finding is in paragraph 17/18. I can't copy it as it is protected. But it's worth reading the whole article. His website has further reading. As odd as it may sound, he has established protocols to determine this impact and uses it as part of his extensive bike fit process. If you read his blog, you will get a good sense of his experience and methods.

I would just leave the thing at home if you have isolated the device as causing discomfort no matter the reason.

I rode two days without the Curve and the niggling pain was still there . So my conclusion is that its not the Curve GPS signal causing it . The pain is actually on the front of my Hip/top of leg /Groin . Were your pocket of your pants are . ( If that explains it ) . So i started checking obvious faults that can occur . This is on my MTB that i use daily for doing my Urban Sprawl . (Pavements , tar , single track or anything that i need to ride on to stay away from traffic) Tomorrow im riding my road bike  so will give feed back .  

1) Saddle moved down ----No 

2 )Saddle moved sideways ---No 

3) Cleats moved----No 

4 Cranks lose ---No 

5) Frame bent ---No 

If there are  any other that i need to check please feel free to suggest them . 

Did have any sessions with a biokeneticist after your operation ?

The body is a strange machine .... with any luck just referred pain and some muscles that need some rehab ....

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Did have any sessions with a biokeneticist after your operation ?

The body is a strange machine .... with any luck just referred pain and some muscles that need some rehab ....

No i did not as i followed my Physio instruction's to the T and when i started riding slowly in the first month and slowly built up my mileage .That referred pain you mention is something I've experienced  before in my upper shoulder at the back . I fell  badly and hurt my Rotator Cuff ( Not knowing it ) the pain was in my back but actually in the front . 

On any other forum

all the answers would be wrap your head with foil and report back to US THE EGGSPERTS

but seriously vaaark I will be following to read the end result with interest 

Edited by DIPSLICK