Cyclists sniffing salts

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use vlugsout before an athletics race in back in my school days… it just gives an instant kick to wake you up a bit, its not painful at all… you get a feeling of a clear mind and being super awake.

It is used in weightlifting a lot. An the stuff is super cheap at the pharmacy.

I like how the name ‘vlugsout’ implies ‘fleeing’ (fight-or-flight) lol.

when you are ready to run like hell, sniff some salt. Probably triggers the exact same hormones?

I think you would probably find the combination of the placebo effect and the mental conditioning that the smell = time to suffer and go fast is quite powerful. Cool if you are training for a tt, shorter mtb race or short efforts like track, but I can’t imagine you want that for a longer road race where you want to remain unexcited until it counts. 

23 hours ago, DIPSLICK said:

I know cyclists  in brakpan and bloem who sniff glue, never heard of the salt angle

that hurts ????

3 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I think you would probably find the combination of the placebo effect and the mental conditioning that the smell = time to suffer and go fast is quite powerful. Cool if you are training for a tt, shorter mtb race or short efforts like track, but I can’t imagine you want that for a longer road race where you want to remain unexcited until it counts. 

i get you.

but hard to sniff salts mid race. 

you need to be able to get into that space on your own to perform in the field 

22 hours ago, Avo said:

Olbas oil is brilliant stuff. Clears up the nose.

image.png.61bde164940cad41693940ede6f2235b.png

We used this on the kids if they had blocked noses as babies. Few drops on their pillows

23 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Oh so that's what the pro's have in their nose when they warm up.... Leftovers from their sniffing sesh....

Team Jumbo-Visma cycling on Twitter: "????????#Giro In about 25 minutes time  @rogla is our final rider to start the 34,8 km time trial to San Marino. A  good warming up is essential

Olbas oil is also used to open up the airways