AmaShova 2021 - Route Changed

pedal menace

On 9/22/2021 at 4:36 PM, BikeisLife said:

This new route is going to be uphill for +-40km and then downhill for +-40km. Quite disappointed but I guess nothing we can do. Can't imagine how people must feel that have already booked accommodation in PMB...

Fortunately booked DBN, so I'll be cycling on to and from Moses on the Sat and Sun. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Route Description

Race date: Sunday 24 October 2021

Route Description for the Amashova Durban Classic 80km

1. The start is under the Moses Mabhida pedestrian bridge in Masabalala Yengwa Avenue.
2. Cyclists will travel on Masabalala Yengwa Ave South Bound
3. Turn right into Bram Fisher which becomes David Webster
4. Travel along David Webster which will take you to the N3 Westbound carriageway
5. Take the Sherwood Jan Smuts exit 5
6. Turn sharp right onto Jan Smuts Highway West bound
7. Once you reach the M13 you will take the East bound carriageway and travel contra flow until Shongweni Assagay Hillcrest Exit 33
8. Continue on the M13, with the Fields Hill descent starting beneath the overhead bridge.
9. At 45th Cutting Cyclists will travel on Jan Smuts Highway westbound
10. Jan Smuts Highway ends in a descent followed by a SHARP LEFT to enter the outbound lanes of the N3 Western Freeway.
11. Continue along the N3 into Durban underneath the Tollgate Bridge.
12. Keep right and continue along David Webster Road
13. David Webster becomes Bram Fischer Road
14. Turn left into Samora Machel Road and keep right
15. Cycle into Masabalala Yengwa Avenue South Bound (contra flow)
16.The finish line is underneath the pedestrian bridge that connects Mustering Fields to Peoples Park

The organizer states roadworks on the N3, but not where along the N3 these roadworks are. 

Edited by mecheng89
Too many words lol

This is so pathetic... death of Amashova?? I won't enter again. Terribly handled. 

And it looks like we will all be sharing the one side of the M13 so we will have very slow riders wobbling around in the lane next to us.... 

Not keen

9 hours ago, Monark said:

This is so pathetic... death of Amashova?? I won't enter again. Terribly handled. 

And it looks like we will all be sharing the one side of the M13 so we will have very slow riders wobbling around in the lane next to us.... 

Not keen

Surely a bit of an exaggeration? The CTCT 2015 route was changed 5 days before the event, cancelled with some already started and riders waiting to start in 2019, and the event hasn't died.

This was communicated a month before the event. For those who booked accommodation in PMB I can understand being frustrated. For us it is over 600km each way, and the stay at the Suncoast, for an 80km fun ride - I'd still rather do this than be in hospital again this year.

Aren't you in Durban?

3 hours ago, HdB said:

Surely a bit of an exaggeration? The CTCT 2015 route was changed 5 days before the event, cancelled with some already started and riders waiting to start in 2019, and the event hasn't died.

This was communicated a month before the event. For those who booked accommodation in PMB I can understand being frustrated. For us it is over 600km each way, and the stay at the Suncoast, for an 80km fun ride - I'd still rather do this than be in hospital again this year.

Aren't you in Durban?

I am - there is no reason for me to pay to ride this road. It's just sad.  The road out of PMB has always been terrible and the organization and safety on the route has always been questionable. The last time we raced was 2019 and we nearly got taken out by a car heading through highflats. The road surface that year was shocking and very few potholes were marked. 

Route map and profile uploaded to the website.

A case of 'Trap' the pedals for 40 kays and then free wheel for 40 Kays

Shova.jpg

47 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Route map and profile uploaded to the website.

A case of 'Trap' the pedals for 40 kays and then free wheel for 40 Kays

Says the route is only 73.2km?? That is a crapload of climbing in the first 35km! 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:21 PM, mecheng89 said:

Route Description

Race date: Sunday 24 October 2021

Route Description for the Amashova Durban Classic 80km

1. The start is under the Moses Mabhida pedestrian bridge in Masabalala Yengwa Avenue.
2. Cyclists will travel on Masabalala Yengwa Ave South Bound
3. Turn right into Bram Fisher which becomes David Webster
4. Travel along David Webster which will take you to the N3 Westbound carriageway
5. Take the Sherwood Jan Smuts exit 5
6. Turn sharp right onto Jan Smuts Highway West bound
7. Once you reach the M13 you will take the East bound carriageway and travel contra flow until Shongweni Assagay Hillcrest Exit 33
8. Continue on the M13, with the Fields Hill descent starting beneath the overhead bridge.
9. At 45th Cutting Cyclists will travel on Jan Smuts Highway westbound
10. Jan Smuts Highway ends in a descent followed by a SHARP LEFT to enter the outbound lanes of the N3 Western Freeway.
11. Continue along the N3 into Durban underneath the Tollgate Bridge.
12. Keep right and continue along David Webster Road
13. David Webster becomes Bram Fischer Road
14. Turn left into Samora Machel Road and keep right
15. Cycle into Masabalala Yengwa Avenue South Bound (contra flow)
16.The finish line is underneath the pedestrian bridge that connects Mustering Fields to Peoples Park

As a guy who grew up in Durban but now lives in Johannesburg I tried to follow this route step by step.

To be honest I had no clue.

WTF is Masabalala Yengwa Avenue., Bram Fisher, David Webster and Samora Machel.

If I tried to follow these directions I would probably end up in Port Elizabeth, but that's not right its now called Gqeberha.

Wow I battle to keep up.

Maybe I should just settle for a race in Grahamstown.

14 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

As a guy who grew up in Durban but now lives in Johannesburg I tried to follow this route step by step.

To be honest I had no clue.

WTF is Masabalala Yengwa Avenue., Bram Fisher, David Webster and Samora Machel.

If I tried to follow these directions I would probably end up in Port Elizabeth, but that's not right its now called Gqeberha.

Wow I battle to keep up.

Maybe I should just settle for a race in Grahamstown.

Don’t worry, on the East Rand we used to have Atlas road, now the road name is an entire paragraph of words. 

On 9/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, Monark said:

Not keen

A group of us had booked to stay in PMB. We've cancelled our accommodation and taken a bit of a hit on the deposit. We've rolled our race entry into next year's event.

6 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Says the route is only 73.2km?? That is a crapload of climbing in the first 35km

Pretty terrified right now. 

3 hours ago, Spirog said:

A group of us had booked to stay in PMB. We've cancelled our accommodation and taken a bit of a hit on the deposit. We've rolled our race entry into next year's event.

Is that an option? Or just your personal decision?

3 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Is that an option? Or just your personal decision?

I mailed them and they agreed immediately. Try melissa@Amashova.co.za 

It made no sense for us to drive from Joburg , get up at some ungodly time in PMB to ride an 80 km out and back route...

On 9/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, mecheng89 said:

The organizer states roadworks on the N3, but not where along the N3 these roadworks are. 

Raubex busy on the N3 around Umlaas Rd / Camperdown and there is some buggeration on the Shova route, particulary at the underpasses and bridges intersecting the N3. I think the rehabilitation of the Thornville to Umlaas Rd section is pretty much complete but that was also on the go a little while ago with a few stop - go's SA style. Was painful; saw a poor roadie trying the route and he didn't look happy; but that was a few months ago.