AmaShova 2021 - Route Changed

pedal menace

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

Raubex busy on the N3 around Umlaas Rd / Camperdown and there is some buggeration on the Shova route, particulary at the underpasses and bridges intersecting the N3. I think the rehabilitation of the Thornville to Umlaas Rd section is pretty much complete but that was also on the go a little while ago with a few stop - go's SA style. Was painful; saw a poor roadie trying the route and he didn't look happy; but that was a few months ago.

Thanks, need to remember this for the drive down

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel basically the same as the Tour Durban race...due to Covid the route was moved again, but the issue is the route. Last time the route was changed at the last minute due to protests on the road this was in 2019. We accepted it and thought that it was just a once off but now it seems that the shorter route is the new route but now consists of 2 - 3 laps for the longer distance. If I want to ride a lap race I will enter an EXO MTB race. The old route with the climb into Pinetown was nice as the climb stretched out the field nicely, during the last race with no major climb the bunches was massive and basically nowhere to move. I will not ride and only if the route change back to the old route I will ride it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All - I have checked the AmaShova website and from what I can see the organizers will ONLY require you to fill in a piece of paper called "SELF-SCREENING AND PERSONAL DECLARATION FOR COVID-19".

Nowhere does it allude to a compulsory negative test (24 hr prior) or proof of vaccination. On the COVID 19 link at top it refers to the "latest" media press release dated June 2020!

I do not think they really keep this website updated. So - just drive down and fill in form and ride? 

Edited by pedal menace

11 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Hi All - I have checked the AmaShova website and from what I can see the organizers will ONLY require you to fill in a piece of paper called "SELF-SCREENING AND PERSONAL DECLARATION FOR COVID-19".

Nowhere does it allude to a compulsory negative test (24 hr prior) or proof of vaccination. On the COVID 19 link at top it refers to the "latest" media press release dated June 2020!

I do not think they really keep this website updated. So - just drive down and fill in form and ride? 

I suggest you send an email to Melissa. She responds in good time from when I've dealt with her. 

I often wonder whether race organizers actually know of the existence of BikeHub. Because they can get so much feedback here that some silly 5 minute questionnaire post race will never reveal.

Boycotted this event when they did away with age specific racing categories. So have a age group vets license and they then want you to ride in open seeded bunches. Logistics always made it an issue, and that change put the final nail in the coffin. And did they care ????? No.

So they probably don't care now either. Speak with your wallet.

I have done 19 Shovas, not riding this year. I wish them luck with the race, hope it goes well. Out and back on the M13 is not Shova. Doing a few MTB races instead.

Will be there on the start line and as much as I am pissed that the route changed, will still aim to enjoy it as myself and a couple of mates are doing the whole JHB 2 PMB ride.

Mailed organizers and got:

Please can you bring along the filled in Covid 19 declaration form with you to number collection. You will be emailed a link to the form, final instructions and your race number and start time on Monday. We are checking temperatures on arrival at number collection, continually sanitize and require everyone to wear masks

Will not be racing. Coming down with my MTB and knobbies and will ride with my sister. So to me just a lekka weekend away with a social ride 

Edited by pedal menace

I'm honestly pretty pleased they are putting a race together.

It's a tough time to organise a race as we still are in a pandemic and until this passes with high vaccination rates, and other medical interventions coming onto the market, we need to follow best practices to ensure people are safe. This is pretty easy to understand.

They've done a lot to ensure that an event can be smoothly executed. We have all made the personal call to make bookings. It's a risk thing after all. My personal issue is that this is an 80km ride and not a 100km+ ride. My last race was CTCT 2020 and I've not done a 100km+ since that and this would have been a perfect opportunity.

But that's fine,

I will enter next year with the hope that the PMB-DUR route is back. It's such a great race after all.

2 hours ago, shahilj said:

I'm honestly pretty pleased they are putting a race together.

It's a tough time to organise a race as we still are in a pandemic and until this passes with high vaccination rates, and other medical interventions coming onto the market, we need to follow best practices to ensure people are safe. This is pretty easy to understand.

They've done a lot to ensure that an event can be smoothly executed. We have all made the personal call to make bookings. It's a risk thing after all. My personal issue is that this is an 80km ride and not a 100km+ ride. My last race was CTCT 2020 and I've not done a 100km+ since that and this would have been a perfect opportunity.

But that's fine,

I will enter next year with the hope that the PMB-DUR route is back. It's such a great race after all.

I think people are underestimating the revised course. It's pretty much all climbing to the halfway point. It's going to be a unique challenge. 

1 hour ago, agilwolf said:

For the bigger riders doing approx. 1200m climbing in the first 35km will be a challenge ...

Unless you're very competent climber, that is an intimidating figure. It's going to be a very interesting day. 

13 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Unless you're very competent climber, that is an intimidating figure. It's going to be a very interesting day. 

I changed my crankset just because of this ....  My climbing is ok for a big guy, but need to somehow endure the "constant" climbing ...

It’s not that difficult, the M13 is a nice gradual drag until Field’s Hill, then some (short) torture, and then back to some gradual drags before turning around.

Should be able to hold a rhythm on most of the M13. The two bumps between the Hillcrest off-ramp and Shongweni are short too, heading out and back.