2 Grease Or Not 2 Grease

love2fly

5 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

In some areas, grease or oil just attracts dirt, I don't grease cables, just change them often.

Cables you dont "just change them often" like chains. Cables stretch to a certain point and you only change them when they cause a problem. One dont change cables like one change chains. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Cables you dont "just change them often" like chains. Cables stretch to a certain point and you only change them when they cause a problem. One dont change cables like one change chains. 

The outer sleeve wears, cable doesn't track properly inside. When I change the sleeve, also put new cable. Normally wait until shifting is not great. Rear is maybe twice a year on mtb, once a year on road bike. Front one a bit less.

12 hours ago, David Marshall said:

about 80% of my customers

Time to sell them new bikes. Profit.

15 hours ago, TNT1 said:

I use extra virgin Spanish olive oil.

You jest(?) but olive oil makes an amazing lube in a pinch lol. had rusty locks at the previous house and nothing on hand but some virgin olive oil at the time. put a few drops in there and they were all buttery smooth for the better part of two years. 

1 hour ago, TNT1 said:

Time to sell them new bikes. Profit.

This is how the South African cycle scene works. Dad has the latest and greatest. Mom and the three kids have old 26ers and Makro specials. All 5 get dropped at once for service. That is how I reach the 80% ratio!????

12 hours ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

I cannot see why not. It is quick, easy and cheap to do.

12 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I cannot see why not. It is quick, easy and cheap to do.

Cables you leave untill there is a problem which you cannot solve by tuning. Then you start looking at your cables. When  you install cables, they are not stretched up to their max, therefor when you install new cables, your gear will be good for a few rides and then it will start to give problems. That is then when your cable is stretched and at its optimum. Only when there is a problem, broken cable housing, or flayed cable, etc, then you look at your cable and its possible replacement. You don't just replace when you want to or when something is not right. I have bikes running for more than 10 years with the same cables.   

5 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

This is how the South African cycle scene works. Dad has the latest and greatest. Mom and the three kids have old 26ers and Makro specials. All 5 get dropped at once for service. That is how I reach the 80% ratio!????

pretty much how the car scene works too. Dad has the latest greatest safest car, but mom carts the kids around in a cheap old runabout, and when little johnny heads off to varsity the cheapest car than can be found it bought.

..... actually I must admit there has been a shift to buying little johnny a safe car when he heads off to varsity

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

pretty much how the car scene works too. Dad has the latest greatest safest car, but mom carts the kids around in a cheap old runabout, and when little johnny heads off to varsity the cheapest car than can be found it bought.

..... actually I must admit there has been a shift to buying little johnny a safe car when he heads off to varsity

I've always been in awe of this. Kids, who will almost certainly crash, driving death traps. 

Dads and moms in massive SUVs are only a danger to cyclists and poles/trees behind their parking... ????

1 hour ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Cables you leave untill there is a problem which you cannot solve by tuning. Then you start looking at your cables. When  you install cables, they are not stretched up to their max, therefor when you install new cables, your gear will be good for a few rides and then it will start to give problems. That is then when your cable is stretched and at its optimum. Only when there is a problem, broken cable housing, or flayed cable, etc, then you look at your cable and its possible replacement. You don't just replace when you want to or when something is not right. I have bikes running for more than 10 years with the same cables.   

It might have been true in the distant past but the cables you buy today are pre-"stretched". All your sleeve ends/ferrules, etc might not be seated perfectly and these will settle with use. If properly installed you MIGHT have to adjust it a little after installation with one of the barrel adjusters.

I have in the last few months installed new cables and housings for a few derailleurs, cable disc brakes and a dropper post and none have required any adjustment a few rides in.

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Ah man the 'yellow Saddler' would have had a field day with the 'stretched cable' comments ... 

I dont know what he would have said (dont recall him), but with my limited understanding I dont suspect that drive train cables would stretch all that much, the forces on them are not that great (unless you are really being hamfisted) and modern drivetrains are made to shift with very little force.

7 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Ah man the 'yellow Saddler' would have had a field day with the 'stretched cable' comments ... 

Having worked for the Yellow Saddler I can quote him pretty well.  Something like "Hang yourself from a rafter with a cable and you will notice it does not stretch"

[Aside] Please don't mention to him that I build wheels with a spoke tension meter!

2 hours ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

I'm sorry but in 20+ years of cycling I've never had a multi-strand steel cable stretch from a derailleur or brake. Just like people saying a chain stretches.