Rockshox Monarch RL Play & Knocking Noise

love2fly

Noticed that my Monarch RL has a bit of play and a slight knocking noise about 1/4 into compression and when releasing the weight.

Was serviced recently by Linden Cycles who appear to do many and their service is usually v good.

Noticed slight hissing sound when I got it back and that was explained as extra grease in (I think the damper but can't recall exactly).

It does it when locked out also ie locks but has about 3-5mm travel.

Its now developed this issue and while it was almost a year ago I haven't done huge mileage as I've been riding my roadbike most of the time.

Edited by love2fly

Check with them if they did service the damper.  If they did those symptoms are consistent with insufficient air pressure in the floating piston chamber.  The pressure in the Monarch RL needs to be 500 psi (34.4 bar) which you can't reach with a standard shock pump.  Most of the other Rockshox models only need 350 psi.  If they didn't service the damper then as mentioned above that is where to start.

48 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

Check with them if they did service the damper.  If they did those symptoms are consistent with insufficient air pressure in the floating piston chamber.  The pressure in the Monarch RL needs to be 500 psi (34.4 bar) which you can't reach with a standard shock pump.  Most of the other Rockshox models only need 350 psi.  If they didn't service the damper then as mentioned above that is where to start.

They did a full service. They have nitrogen cylinders so my guess is they would have used nitro....