Karoo to Coast

On way to work today I saw a car with 2 bike on the roof.Feeling sad as this is normally the time to load up bikes ,tents etc  for the weekend outing to K2C.Lekker vibe in Uniondale before the challenge.

Next year for sure

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not holding my breath. I have decided not to enter events anymore until the state of emergency has been lifted and masks are no longer required. It may take a year, it may take ten, it may never happen. Either way, I ride for the pure fun of it now with a like minded group of mates. We don't need events anymore, we have enough joy in our group.

• 7 months later...

They way they are spamming this event over email tells me people have either forgotten about it since 2019…or still have PTSD.

either way, I love the irony of some of the marketing images that accompany their pleads for entries:

i rode it in 2019 on a rigid mtb.

theres nothing on that route that ‘needs’ suspension or mtb geometry imo.

they should just open it up to whatever so more people will enter

90291304-E8F2-46A9-B52E-3799D6F4B1F2.jpeg

0D1D04A5-FF1D-40EA-AB3F-4ADDCDA63CE1.jpeg

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

They way they are spamming this event over email tells me people have either forgotten about it since 2019…or still have PTSD.

either way, I love the irony of some of the marketing images that accompany their pleads for entries:

i rode it in 2019 on a rigid mtb.

theres nothing on that route that ‘needs’ suspension or mtb geometry imo.

they should just open it up to whatever so more people will enter

90291304-E8F2-46A9-B52E-3799D6F4B1F2.jpeg

0D1D04A5-FF1D-40EA-AB3F-4ADDCDA63CE1.jpeg

From a safety aspect I think it’s a good call which they clarify - I’ve ridden the route and part of the route on a gravel bike hard tail and raced it on my full sus. Unless you are experienced and or light, full sus drills the other 2

Sure there are guys who will smash it on a gravel bike but there are many g bikers who will cause problems for themselves and others on those descents

500 entries available but no where to stay unless you like tents and portaloos 

anyone not going I will buy your entry if you a brick and mortar accom (for which I’ll pay) 

6 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

From a safety aspect I think it’s a good call which they clarify - I’ve ridden the route and part of the route on a gravel bike hard tail and raced it on my full sus. Unless you are experienced and or light, full sus drills the other 2

Sure there are guys who will smash it on a gravel bike but there are many g bikers who will cause problems for themselves and others on those descents

Yes but on avarage…gravel bikes are a niche and mostly ridden by people who own more than one bike. I dont think there can be many novice cyclists who have 1 bike and that bike is a gravelbike. There are for sure PLENTY of novice cyclists who ride ebikes…but that also doesn't really make sense. ( the ban)

sure there are faster ways to ‘race’ the route…but it can 100% be ridden on a gravel bike imo.

you do it all the time?😅

Edited by MORNE

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

Yes but on avarage…gravel bikes are a niche and mostly ridden by people who own more than one bike. I dont think there can be many novice cyclists who have 1 bike and that bike is a gravelbike. There are for sure PLENTY of novice cyclists who ride ebikes…but that also doesn't really make sense. ( the ban)

sure there are faster ways to ‘race’ the route…but it can 100% be ridden on a gravel bike imo.

you do it all the time?😅

I agree 100 percent, it can be done comfortably 

but I agree with their thinking - unfortunately they can’t say “skilled gravel bikes welcome” 

for this particular race I 100 percent agree no ebikes - this will upset a lot of people around here - the majority of people I see on my routes are on ebikes but in this case the lack of skilled riders are the majority and would cause mayhem - that said there must be a way to accommodate them like making them start an hour later for example 

they’d definitely find  those missing 500 entrants 

this is my favourite event - perfect distance, fast, lots of climbing and I don’t have any pesky single track and technical proper mountain bike stuff. 

40 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

image.png.39e2ddcde0366b86a535a15694f120f9.png

I've ridden this event 3 times now and I have yet to come across a drop-off. Where are these elusive features that may cause me to reconsider entering this ride again?

sweeper truck dropoffs maybe ? lol 

now that i think about it...this is really just an offroad CTCT, so yes..there is alot of inexperience on the day.

But i mean you cant tell me a toppie on a 90s rigid mtb is better suited to ride this than a modern gravel bike on 50c tires. newer gravel bikes are slacker than old mts these days...look at the Evil thing, you can throw that down redbull hardline haha.

And then theres the ambiguity....if i put a flat bar on my bike, it's a mtb lol. So they should just say no drop bar bikes then. I rode with a guy in 2019 for a while who did just that...a SS gravel bike with flat bars haha. 

"opertunity lies in the ambiguity of rules"

Edited by MORNE

• 4 months later...

Just realized the Monday after the race isn't a public holiday this year.. Ai man, makes this a bit of a schlep. We usually make a long weekend out of it at the beach, now it will just be a rush.

I'll have a look at the long term weather forecast and then decide if it's even worth it to go.. not in the mood for another rain soaked race. Luck has not been on our side so far with this year's races.

I believe I've reached the stage where I'm over events. I've been diligently training the last month and a bit for the Jonkershoek Enduro . . . for which I've yet to enter . . .

And I'm somewhat of the mind I may just end up not doing it after all. 

My rides are fun without the need to spend more money to get to events and the other associated costs. These days I ride for the pure joy of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

As of this evening seems like the weather is looking promising? 

Is there anyone staying in Knysna that is driving through the Sunday morning with space for one rider and his bike? Will gladly contribute to petrol and morning coffee! 

Weather might not be great. I check everyday. Last week is showed rain. Yesterday good weather but today shown rain again on race day. Might be a wet one again.