2nd hand thru axle advice needed

Newster

34 minutes ago, Newster said:

What is a tune id?

This is a four-digit alpha-numeric code that all Fox forks and shocks after a certain year (I’m not sure what year) have on them. On forks this is usually on the back of the left leg just under the dust wipers. It might just say “ID ####”. It’s possible that sticker has been removed, or if it’s a really old model it might not have it. You can enter that code on this page https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike and get all the specs for that fork or shock.

Usually for forks there are only two things you need to know to get the right axle:

1. The brand of the fork (different brands use different thread pitches, and the thread length might also vary)
  2. Whether the hub spacing is boost (110 mm) or not (100 mm)

With that information you should be able to choose the right part from Fox, KCNC, or any other brand that makes them. Most will offer quick release options and hex bolt options (sometimes called “Stealth”). There are other axle styles (like the 20 mm ones used mostly on downhill bikes), but it’s clear that yours is the common 15 mm standard. Comparing your measurements to one that I have here I can see that it’s a non-boost width. So, you need an axle for a Fox 15 × 100 mm dropout. Quick release or not is your choice.

With rear axles it gets a lot more complicated, as you have variations in frame thicknesses to account for as well as the boost/non-boost issue. And it’s not as simple as using the brand to determine the thread pitch.

2 hours ago, Newster said:

The decals on the fork say that it's a fox float 32.  What is a tune id?

The hub on the wheel is a Hope Evo Pro 2 if that makes any difference 

Its stickered on the left lower leg just below the dust wiper 

If your fork doesn't have it or doesn't have a residue from the sticker coming off im 97% sure your axle/hub is 100mm x 15mm

On 9/22/2021 at 8:43 PM, Newster said:

Evening all, I want to find a 2nd hand through axle in the classifieds to replace the one in the photos but I'm scared of buying the wrong size (complete cycling noob).  

Can someone point me in the right direction and also let me know what to look out for/ask the seller about?  Chances are I'll have to buy it remotely.

What is wrong with it, why do you want to replace it?

I also have one lying around, 100x15 (M14x1.5mm thread) (non boost) original Fox.  Let me know if you don't come right.

The most important thing is to check if the thread is M14 or M15.  Fox tend to use M14, thread diameter 1mm smaller that the thru-axle shaft, and then the thread pitch is also important, as far as I know Fox mostly use 1.5mm.

Where are you located?

Edited by TheoG

On 9/22/2021 at 8:44 PM, Newster said:

No I dont think it will, that is a "boost" (110x15), I think you need a "non-boost" (100x15).  Looking at your photos, it look like the one I have is exactly what you need.  It come of my Fox 32 Float 29 100 CTD fork.

I'm in Alberton, if you are close to me, you can try it first?

Edited by TheoG

Thanks for all the help hubbers, and to Ernst and TheoG for offering to sell me theirs but I've managed to fix my old axle with the help of my LBS and some locktite

8 hours ago, Newster said:

Thanks for all the help hubbers, and to Ernst and TheoG for offering to sell me theirs but I've managed to fix my old axle with the help of my LBS and some locktite

Just shout if it fail again.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:40 PM, Newster said:

The decals on the fork say that it's a fox float 32.  What is a tune id?

The tune ID ties into a manual accessible on the Fox website which gives you information on how to set up the specific shocks.