What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Titleist said:

A gravel bike is all fun and games until you hit the corrugated roads on long races like the Trans Baviaans or 361. No thanks.

This. If you have ridden one over copious quantities of stutter bumps which are prevalent on our roads, then you shake your fillings out.

15 minutes ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

Is this you just gloating or trying to say "I told you so"?

Gravel/Cyclo-cross...monster-bike-by- @Eldron...same same to me. 

There is just something about riding a gravel bike that puts the biggest grin on the faces of even the most seasoned cyclists that I have ridden with. I don't know what it is, but they are just SO MUCH FUN! I for one don't argue that it replaces a mountain bike for awful corrugated roads. But horses for courses. There are many, many rides where a gravel bike that is well configured (thinking tyre selection, correct bars etc etc) just can't be beaten for the fun factor. I'm very excited about the Gravel World Series!

Although I played around in the gravel bike world with a lovely Trek Checkpoint SL6, my personal take on it is that it is indeed the perfect type of bike if you ONLY have one bike.

I've subsequently sold it after getting a decent MTB and will in future purchase a decent road bike - a gravel bike is a great all rounder though and also perfectly suited for commuting etc. However, not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike - a great bike yet a good example of a horses for courses approach. 

Also, are there really as many spots (other than the Karoo etc.) where you can truly exploit the true potential of the gravel bike on a frequent basis?

Edited by Charlie600

I like them but I'm not going to get one.

I think a lot of guys on gravel bikes are hardened mountain bikers who got a gravel bike rather than a roadie coz they don't want to feel like hypocrites for ripping into roadies all those years. Plus on a gravel bike you can still run your mtb shoes, baggies and peak helmet without looking like a complete toolbox.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Gravil certainly has a place and because the makers are making them the UCI will find a place to showcase them and if you live in or near that place then go for it and get one but as mentioned 'not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike ' so if your place is tar or real mountains maybe not .

but nobody says we all have to like the same stuff 

Edited by bikebloke

15 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

Gravil certainly has a place and because the makers are making them the UCI will find a place to showcase them and if you live in or near that place then go for it and get one but as mentioned 'not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike ' so if you place is tar or real mountains maybe not .

but nobody says we all have to like the same stuff 

Sadly that last statement is where the problem is, there are many amongst us that believe that unless you like what they do you're a twat ...

I could give many examples

- if you race you're an idiot, doing overnight backpacking is the best

- Epic is only for rich overweight nontechnical riders

- If you ride a Specialized, more so if it's an S-works, you're automatically a twat

- If you come to the hub just for cycling and the classifieds you must be stupid, NCR chats #FTW

I could go on but I've got some bike stuff to do then take my grandsons for a waffle then go to the track  ????

"No details of the rules governing the gravel events or which events will be part of the series have yet been revealed."

Will my 2003 Raleigh Platinum Breeze commuter qualify?

My first ever off road experience around 27 years ago was on a steel road bike that I took down the local green belt. The bars broke (shocking bike build) and I swiftly bought one of the first giant MTB's available in SA. So gravel is actually a gateway device to MTB... ????