What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

1 hour ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

UCI is a broad church. just because they approve of something doesn't make it cool and acceptable.

http://www.stickybottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Socjs.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, karma said:

Is this you just gloating or trying to say "I told you so"?

Gravel/Cyclo-cross...monster-bike-by- @Eldron...same same to me. 

Eldron - ground breaking gravel pioneer. A man ahead of his time. He rode wagonwheels long before they were "normal". He put drop bars on mtbs long before the word "gravel" was whispered quietly in craft beer establishments by men with plaid shirts and beards.

What a guy - the quintessential I told you so trump card.

Who really cars though? Nobody should. Ride your bike on wooden boards, tarmac, gravel, air or dirt and enjoy it.

Just don't buy an ebike though - those are Satan's bicycles and will make you a homeless tik addict in 16 days.

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

My first ever off road experience around 27 years ago was on a steel road bike that I took down the local green belt. The bars broke (shocking bike build) and I swiftly bought one of the first giant MTB's available in SA. So gravel is actually a gateway device to MTB... ???? 

When I started biking as a kid it was first a 3 speed and then a 12 speed (2x6) "dik lip".

Never had any desire to put my fat arse on a "resies fiets" or gravel bike.  I can go and ride anywhere with my MTB and its fast enough for me when I do ride on the road ... :).

Ride whatever the hell you like and work for you.

I refer to my gravel bike as the bastard offspring from the torrid affair between my road and mountain bikes - combines the worst features of it's parents.

But I love it anyway - I do my 2.5km work commute on it and my last major adventure on it was a 130km 70% gravel loop around Malmesbury. A lovely day out - not a corrugation in sight just rolling farmland dirt roads with a late lunch in Riebeek Kasteel.

At the end of the day I often rip along the singletrack paths on the Rondebosch common in my work clothes - like a kid on the way home from school - puts a smile on my face.

I wonder how many roadies buy gravel bikes and then decide its *** and buy an MTB, or is the main feeder MTB riders who start getting too old or chicken to ride proper MTB trails and go for the safer option ????

Edited by Headshot

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

I wonder how many roadies buy gravel bikes and then decide its *** and buy an MTB, or is the main feeder MTB riders who start getting too old or chicken to ride proper MTB trails and go for the safer option ????

I had a vastly different experience. I do routes way out of my depth on the gravel bike (my handling sucks... Had a proper OTB crash yesterday in Knysna) and have convinced myself I don't want a mountain bike because I would just be useless. 

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I had a vastly different experience. I do routes way out of my depth on the gravel bike (my handling sucks... Had a proper OTB crash yesterday in Knysna) and have convinced myself I don't want a mountain bike because I would just be useless. 

I think you would find that an MTB is vastly more fun and safer on tracks that seem gnarly on a gravel bike. 

Just now, Headshot said:

I think you would find that an MTB is vastly more fun and safer on tracks that seem gnarly on a gravel bike. 

I am told this too by the mtb rider I am with haha. MTB is expensive and I like riding nice stuff because I am a bit of an idiot and weightweenie... lol

Just now, Sid the Sloth said:

I am told this too by the mtb rider I am with haha. MTB is expensive and I like riding nice stuff because I am a bit of an idiot and weightweenie... lol

I am patiently waiting for @Jbr to let his Cannondale go. 

2 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am patiently waiting for @Jbr to let his Cannondale go. 

not selling my baby anytime soon bud, but we can organise for you to ride it on the day, I'll be riding the road race. It will need a service though after Val de Vie (chainring and possibly wheelbearings), not sure if I'll have time to organise it in between.

Just now, Jbr said:

not selling my baby anytime soon bud, but we can organise for you to ride it on the day, I'll be riding the road race. It will need a service though after Val de Vie (chainring and possibly wheelbearings), not sure if I'll have time to organise it in between.

No it is chilled thanks! I am happy on my gravel bike and don't want to break any bones learning how to MTB now that some races are finally on the calendar. 

1 hour ago, Titleist said:

A gravel bike is all fun and games until you hit the corrugated roads on long races like the Trans Baviaans or 361. No thanks.

Agreed, when going long, opt for comfort

1 hour ago, Sydd said:

There is just something about riding a gravel bike that puts the biggest grin on the faces of even the most seasoned cyclists that I have ridden with. I don't know what it is, but they are just SO MUCH FUN! I for one don't argue that it replaces a mountain bike for awful corrugated roads. But horses for courses. There are many, many rides where a gravel bike that is well configured (thinking tyre selection, correct bars etc etc) just can't be beaten for the fun factor. I'm very excited about the Gravel World Series!

I use my gravel bike for long training rides, it's a lot more comfortable and reliable than a road bike. It also gives me the option of hopping off the road to avoid traffic