What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

1 hour ago, Charlie600 said:

Although I played around in the gravel bike world with a lovely Trek Checkpoint SL6, my personal take on it is that it is indeed the perfect type of bike if you ONLY have one bike.

I've subsequently sold it after getting a decent MTB and will in future purchase a decent road bike - a gravel bike is a great all rounder though and also perfectly suited for commuting etc. However, not as comfortable as the MTB nor as fast as the roadbike - a great bike yet a good example of a horses for courses approach. 

Also, are there really as many spots (other than the Karoo etc.) where you can truly exploit the true potential of the gravel bike on a frequent basis?

Some good points here, although I love my gravel, and I have a road bike and a dual suspension mountain bike. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing against a gravel bike ,but in good old RSA it is a robust road bike and a good idea if you don't have a road bike yet ,but i ride some of the best gravel roads  in the country and still prefer to ride them on a proper hardtail with strong tires and suspension 

You need a gravel bike for the roads in SA cause they so *** ???? honestly I got one because I like to throw some off-road sections into my road rides … it’s kinda grown on me and I find my self more and more on the dirt, will probably buy a mtb soon though.

23 minutes ago, Styvie said:

You need a gravel bike for the roads in SA cause they so *** ???? honestly I got one because I like to throw some off-road sections into my road rides … it’s kinda grown on me and I find my self more and more on the dirt, will probably buy a mtb soon though.

download.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

exactly the same as I always felt about it. A niche sport that tries to solve problems that doesn't exist.

but there's a market so there's that

Gravel bikes IMO are just another marketing ploy by the bike manufacturers to create another cycling branch to boost their income.

Good luck and enjoy them as long as it gets people out onto their bikes.

We all get suckered into marketing ploys, cell phones, computers, cars etc etc… so why not buycycles ????

I own the following :

Bianchi road - still use it here and there for races and quiet roads ( eg. suikerbos )

Norco full susp. - MTB stage rides and rough gravel roads ( eg. Breedts nek pass )

Momsen - smooth gravel or road shoulder ( eg. Brits canals )

Pretty much balanced and spoilt for choice, I would still like a hardtail too though.

If I had to choose 1.............definately the Momsen Gravel !

We all on different journeys. Let it be.

16 years between Carbon HTs and multiple Carbon and Alloy Duals. I am on a gravel bike now and prefer it... I join my local for mtb out rides, hit 150+ plus rides often over brutal corregations and thick sand.... I still smile, I'm just not the fastest through there.

You carbon duallys riders (don't even take your bikes to 90% of its abilities anyway) haven't realised your comfort comes from your tyres and tyre pressure not souch the shocks... 

17 minutes ago, coppi said:

I own the following :

Bianchi road - still use it here and there for races and quiet roads ( eg. suikerbos )

Norco full susp. - MTB stage rides and rough gravel roads ( eg. Breedts nek pass )

Momsen - smooth gravel or road shoulder ( eg. Brits canals )

Pretty much balanced and spoilt for choice, I would still like a hardtail too though.

If I had to choose 1.............definately the Momsen Gravel !

Definitely spoilt for choice, it will be very difficult to only have one bike, but if I had to choose, it will be my dual sus

3 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I like them but I'm not going to get one.

I think a lot of guys on gravel bikes are hardened mountain bikers who got a gravel bike rather than a roadie coz they don't want to feel like hypocrites for ripping into roadies all those years. Plus on a gravel bike you can still run your mtb shoes, baggies and peak helmet without looking like a complete toolbox.

This is exactly why I got one.

4 hours ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

Weird flex, but okay. If riding endless boring gravel roads is your thing.

Not exactly a pioneer if you bought your first gravel bike from one of the mainstream manufacturers.

As above N+ works

i have a few options not a gravel specific, but I find myself using this the most lately, for commutes(urban and gravel) cruising around our little mtb track,  gravel grinds

the N+ always applies I must say the whole angle of better than a road bike, but not as fast, but not as comfortable as a mtb, this is lighter than my scalpel and it’s rolling suites my slow speed anyway C47471BF-F8FC-41D7-8CBA-B69D7737132C.jpeg.82767d2d9344c3c49917cfe899e33de1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I wonder how many roadies buy gravel bikes and then decide its *** and buy an MTB, or is the main feeder MTB riders who start getting too old or chicken to ride proper MTB trails and go for the safer option ????

Edited by Spinnekop