Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

NICE pic ????????????

Not mine though - grabbed it from EWC - I am toying with pulling the Enduro Jonkershoek trigger end of October. I am lus for some serious tech.

1 minute ago, capediver said:

I dunno hey...1779026563_Screenshot2021-09-23at22_46_28.png.50940e165b4234616938ef4ab452ddc5.png

Tokai Jul 20 .png

I was waiting for someone to post a reply. I reckon it is possible to do a run down Armageddon or even (heaven forbid) Plumber on a gravel bike, but I'm not volunteering hey.

14 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was waiting for someone to post a reply. I reckon it is possible to do a run down Armageddon or even (heaven forbid) Plumber on a gravel bike, but I'm not volunteering hey.

???? Ja Plumber might be a bridge too far...very keen to climb the Irish and then find my way back down..next time I'm home!

As my Dad used to say 'jy kan jou vinger in jou eie hol af breek as jy hard genoeg probeer', as @Slowbee says just because you can doesn't mean you should ... I choose the routes I ride with my gravel (Monstercross) bike with some care these days, I'm out there to enjoy after all!

15 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Stumpy frame back from paint, she'll be my next gravel / monster cross bike

With SRAM Rival Mullet groupset and a rigid fork

IMG_20210820_122621.jpg

Simply WOW!!

excluding a gravel fiets, that’s the one bike I would consider getting..... a hard tail, if it could be based on a frame like yours would be nice ????

16 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Stumpy frame back from paint, she'll be my next gravel / monster cross bike

With SRAM Rival Mullet groupset and a rigid fork

IMG_20210820_122621.jpg

Would really like to see this build!

I built one as a logical progression of where my riding went on my mtb. It replaced all my bikes. My mtb was rigid and i went everywhere on it except obviously for the craziest enduro lines on the local trails. But then mostly because it was rigid lol…id still go down them even though at snails pace i guess.
But I went up and down almost everything on it in the Tygerberg trail system so meh. Nothing there really warrants 170mm of travel.
My criteria for that mtb was I wanted something as maintenance free as possible. Hence rigid. It even was single speed for a time. When the mtb got stolen and before I got it back, i bought a old steel road bike and started enjoying that too…except 28mm rubber just isnt compy enough for longer rides (for me) I quickly realized. Going fast was nice though.

I enjoyed riding the vast expanse of farm roads in and around the cape on the mtb more and more. A conventional mtb handlebar was not conducive to 5 hours wrist comfort for me though…so i started toying with different bars. More backsweep, more rise etc etc. I wanted to try some drop bars too for the multitude of hand positions they offered, but realised the groupset requirements and cost was a limiting factor. This was before the Surly ones were available. I would have tried some probably.

So yea, I replaced it with a monstercross bike with 50mm tires, sliding dropouts etc. It can do everything I was toying with on my mtb, as well as being way more comfortable than the old road bike i have. So it fulfilled it purpose in that sense. Its a super fun bike. 

I really like mine and I always do what I want. So should you lol.  
Ride what makes you fuzzy inside, they are all gloriously cool machines.

15 hours ago, Shebeen said:

great Freudian slip there!

I'm against you on ebikes though. I don't own one but see them growing the sport. hating on them is bad for all of us.

Gravel ebike is the next big thing 

Juding by the amount of dirt roadies I see through my village and outside the local Wimpy (lol) on a weekend, business must be good!

Edited by Mojoman

12 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

But mostly, a gravel traveller can't do this...

May be an image of nature and mountain

Danny mcaskill (sp?) could. And bunny hop into a backflip landing on a tightrope afterwards.