What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

On 9/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, MORNE said:

i have both of these on mine. they'll change your opinion about what bumpy roads are on a gravel bike. All Ill say is the reviews dont lie. Even if you isolate just the stem....is a total game changer on a rigid forked bike. The amount of chatter/buzz they take out of it the road is amazing.  The seatpost puts your butt in a constant state of 'float' is the best way I can describe it. Riding both almost feels like riding 3-4" rubber at low psi...minus the drawbacks obviously.  My goal with them were to get my bike as comfortable as possible and they surely delivered. And again...100% maintenance free.

Redshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-009-810x540.jpg.a7f50b7d9c48d80c46551a9a7c64e62b.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-012-810x540.jpg.4305dce01a1f527fbcc904d9d1bc6adc.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-003-810x540.jpg.a314b261e6b290e036cf59753df60910.jpg

I got the stem on my gravel bike and agree completely with you. A game changer in terms of comfort and also control. I am aware it is just supposed to be a shock absorber, but it does form a suspension function as well, keeping the front wheel on the ground over bumps, stopping bouncing and improving grip and braking.

I debated the weight thing before I bought it, but after one ride, I never gave it another thought. Worth every gram.

Edited by Baracuda

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Slo,

Further to the above, I am not a racer or fashion cyclist and think of myself as a comfort tourer.  Speed and weight are not an issue. I prefer to get there eventually without sore hands, arms and back.  The roads less travelled with sinkplatte are now not an issue.

There is no noticeable bob or sway when in the saddle with the seatpost.  I am so used to it so can't say for sure but if there is, it is the least of my worries.  This, with a Brooks is the best way for me to spend 10hrs daily in the saddle.

The stem is also a whizz.  I have it fitted to a Jones bar so I have the best of both worlds.  If I use a handlebar bag I use a harder elastomer.

Both these items have stood me in  good stead and recommend them both, very highly.

As mentioned, I am not fussed about the weight of these two items when I have other stuff on the bike. Comfort wins every time, all the time.

Edited by Sepia

Late 90’s early 2000’s I had a suspension seat post (Alien) on my hard tail , it was brilliant for absorbing all those little bumps, corrugations, veld grass tufts etc…. BUT Joh….due to the sag factor it was a mission to get on the bike if you were on a slope or somewhere tricky…. Due to slightly higher seat required. 

On 9/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, MORNE said:

i have both of these on mine. they'll change your opinion about what bumpy roads are on a gravel bike. All Ill say is the reviews dont lie. Even if you isolate just the stem....is a total game changer on a rigid forked bike. The amount of chatter/buzz they take out of it the road is amazing.  The seatpost puts your butt in a constant state of 'float' is the best way I can describe it. Riding both almost feels like riding 3-4" rubber at low psi...minus the drawbacks obviously.  My goal with them were to get my bike as comfortable as possible and they surely delivered. And again...100% maintenance free.

Redshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-009-810x540.jpg.a7f50b7d9c48d80c46551a9a7c64e62b.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-012-810x540.jpg.4305dce01a1f527fbcc904d9d1bc6adc.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-003-810x540.jpg.a314b261e6b290e036cf59753df60910.jpg

Just love the 1980s MTB tech here

21 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Here is a fun article to stir the pot a little: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/10128/2022-bmc-urs-lt-gravel-bike?fbclid=IwAR2O2gQ-5Eln9sqJO4h-phzX0iOPPMraznpMmm_aLKB8qpYvp9wlEj1rWVE

Have BMC heard of the Niner MCR RDO????

There is no line between MTB and Gravel bike any more - just a grey area where opinion decides what it is ????

Oh look it's a headshot fatty 35

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Oh look it's a headshot fatty 35

Throw a Girvin stem of death and some Spesh Bar Phat on that thing and you won't feel any bumps at all ????

5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That seat height is ludicrous - unless you fit proper gravel riser bars of course. As I predicted the move to risers seems to be well on its way with the 2022 models. ???? 

It's a shop bike.  They don't want to insert it at a "normal" height as that will scratch the seatpost.