What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

That seat height is ludicrous - unless you fit proper gravel riser bars of course. As I predicted the move to risers seems to be well on its way with the 2022 models. ???? 

The bike in the pic was a 54cm, so at the correct seat height for a 1,78m tall rider, the "hover" bar should be fine. 

In my observations though, the hover bar is quickly ditched for a normal flat-flared bar.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/25/2021 at 11:40 PM, Eldron said:

Only people with a death wish ride rigid on gnar!

I suppose this is why they did away with rigid forks in the early development of mountain bikes ????

I agree that riding rigid on gnar is a death wish, but its also badass! much respect to the pioneers of the sport 

I have a gravel with 32 mm tires- it’s change my road riding - the bike is like a magic carpet ride I am a tad slower but finish a 105km fresh and smiling. If you not in the top 20% this bike makes SA roads and some smooth gravel and very smooth single track a real pleasure.  

On 9/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, Paul Ruinaard said:

This. If you have ridden one over copious quantities of stutter bumps which are prevalent on our roads, then you shake your fillings out.

Agree. Unless you ride a Curve GXR with carbon wheels and 29x2.4 tyres. 

9kg magic carpet ride with nothing to go wrong and 100% efficiency. 

Changed my view on gravel bikes although I suppose strictly speaking that’s a monster cross or something. 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:06 PM, Mamil said:

Where did you get those? 

I had a set in my hands last week .Indeed heavy pieces of kit

On 10/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Emazing said:

I have a gravel with 32 mm tires- it’s change my road riding - the bike is like a magic carpet ride I am a tad slower but finish a 105km fresh and smiling. If you not in the top 20% this bike makes SA roads and some smooth gravel and very smooth single track a real pleasure.  

22 hours ago, andrew5336 said:

Agree. Unless you ride a Curve GXR with carbon wheels and 29x2.4 tyres. 

9kg magic carpet ride with nothing to go wrong and 100% efficiency. 

Changed my view on gravel bikes although I suppose strictly speaking that’s a monster cross or something. 

All this talk of Magic Carpet Ride

https://www.ninerbikes.com/mcr-9-rdo/

MCR 9 RDO Full Suspension Gravel Bike

On 9/27/2021 at 1:10 PM, Eldron said:

Here is a fun article to stir the pot a little: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/10128/2022-bmc-urs-lt-gravel-bike?fbclid=IwAR2O2gQ-5Eln9sqJO4h-phzX0iOPPMraznpMmm_aLKB8qpYvp9wlEj1rWVE

Have BMC heard of the Niner MCR RDO????

There is no line between MTB and Gravel bike any more - just a grey area where opinion decides what it is ????

And by opinion you mean drop bars

On 9/24/2021 at 4:27 PM, ChrisF said:

Please load some pics

Here is one, but it is a bit....'embarrassing'.....

getting my bike 'ready' for this mornings commute, I noticed Mr. Spider decided this SELDOM-MOVED OBJECT would be perfect to start creating a Monster Web...

(note to self; MUST get out more....! ????)

Please be gentle with me on state of garage, limited space and all that...!

'Proper' pics to follow...

20211006_182238.jpg

20211006_182215.jpg

On 9/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, MORNE said:

i have both of these on mine. they'll change your opinion about what bumpy roads are on a gravel bike. All Ill say is the reviews dont lie. Even if you isolate just the stem....is a total game changer on a rigid forked bike. The amount of chatter/buzz they take out of it the road is amazing.  The seatpost puts your butt in a constant state of 'float' is the best way I can describe it. Riding both almost feels like riding 3-4" rubber at low psi...minus the drawbacks obviously.  My goal with them were to get my bike as comfortable as possible and they surely delivered. And again...100% maintenance free.

Redshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-009-810x540.jpg.a7f50b7d9c48d80c46551a9a7c64e62b.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-012-810x540.jpg.4305dce01a1f527fbcc904d9d1bc6adc.jpgRedshift-ShockStop-System-Test-Review-003-810x540.jpg.a314b261e6b290e036cf59753df60910.jpg

Got that seatpost too, and it works so well I regularly look down to see why my tyres feel so flat

On 9/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Back when Specialized started selling their Diverge gravel bike, I bought one and posted notes about the experiences I had, both positive and negative. A number of Hubbers trashed the idea of gravel bike specific riding, with various arguments about the bike just being a skinny mtb or fat road bike, and no doubt a number also felt that the discipline was doomed to failure.

Well now, with the UCI announcement of a formal global gravel series and world championships, I wonder what the nay-sayers think about the sport now?

I still think they are halfway between a road and MTB and I dont think they are great at either. Im firmly in the pointless camp.

Remember just because something has a lot of people behind it doesnt make it great, there are millions of hipsters throughout the world...

2 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

I still think they are halfway between a road and MTB and I dont think they are great at either. Im firmly in the pointless camp.

Remember just because something has a lot of people behind it doesnt make it great, there are millions of hipsters throughout the world...

"Great" is a relative thing. It IS great for many people - it ISN'T great for you.

They buy them - you don't. Everyone wins.

yup...and i know why "hipster culture" is used for a very specific image of lumberjack looking people with beards unable to lift a vida grande cappuccino due to their scrawny builds....but lets not kid ourselves and forget the true meaning of the word: 

"non conformist"...and these non conformist made everything you and I hold dear to our harts a reality by rejecting the reality of "the man" - since the 1940's lol. if it werent for a "hipster"...you wouldnt be reading this BS on this website, on your smartphone, in your jeanpant, in your tekkies. 

Edited by MORNE

6 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Wow wow we wa. This thread still going. If you ride a bike I will be your friend. I don't care what kind. Except an ebike :lol: just kidding. I will still be your friend. 

nice-very-nice.gif

My experience o  these bikes is that they area great crossover machine. Smoother gravel roads are easily travelled and the rough tar roads that are becoming the norm are ironed out beautifully.

I sorted out the harsh effect on my rear by putting on a Thudbuster 32mm seat post. All I needed was a lightweight front shock which was not designed at the time. I still hold that the Spez front shock with its super short front travel that bottoms out constantly is a waste of money.

Now that I live in southern Kzn with its character laden  local 'tar' roads, I really wish I had not changed my gravel machine for a proper road bike. It would have been perfect for this region. 

56 minutes ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

My experience o  these bikes is that they area great crossover machine. Smoother gravel roads are easily travelled and the rough tar roads that are becoming the norm are ironed out beautifully.

I sorted out the harsh effect on my rear by putting on a Thudbuster 32mm seat post. All I needed was a lightweight front shock which was not designed at the time. I still hold that the Spez front shock with its super short front travel that bottoms out constantly is a waste of money.

Now that I live in southern Kzn with its character laden  local 'tar' roads, I really wish I had not changed my gravel machine for a proper road bike. It would have been perfect for this region. 

https://www.laufcycling.com/

2 hours ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Very much my experience as well. I built a gravel bike for the Swartberg Fondo and found that with 38mm Panaracer slicks, it actually forms a great "South African road bike". Great for our rough roads, wet Cape winter mornings, riding into potholes in the dark, jumping pavements when taxis or constantia moms cut you off, etc etc. My old road bike and associated tires used to battle.

Edited by Baracuda