What do the gravel nay-sayers say now?

Chris NewbyFraser

My experience o  these bikes is that they area great crossover machine. Smoother gravel roads are easily travelled and the rough tar roads that are becoming the norm are ironed out beautifully.

I sorted out the harsh effect on my rear by putting on a Thudbuster 32mm seat post. All I needed was a lightweight front shock which was not designed at the time. I still hold that the Spez front shock with its super short front travel that bottoms out constantly is a waste of money.

Now that I live in southern Kzn with its character laden  local 'tar' roads, I really wish I had not changed my gravel machine for a proper road bike. It would have been perfect for this region. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

My experience o  these bikes is that they area great crossover machine. Smoother gravel roads are easily travelled and the rough tar roads that are becoming the norm are ironed out beautifully.

I sorted out the harsh effect on my rear by putting on a Thudbuster 32mm seat post. All I needed was a lightweight front shock which was not designed at the time. I still hold that the Spez front shock with its super short front travel that bottoms out constantly is a waste of money.

Now that I live in southern Kzn with its character laden  local 'tar' roads, I really wish I had not changed my gravel machine for a proper road bike. It would have been perfect for this region. 

https://www.laufcycling.com/

2 hours ago, Chris NewbyFraser said:

Very much my experience as well. I built a gravel bike for the Swartberg Fondo and found that with 38mm Panaracer slicks, it actually forms a great "South African road bike". Great for our rough roads, wet Cape winter mornings, riding into potholes in the dark, jumping pavements when taxis or constantia moms cut you off, etc etc. My old road bike and associated tires used to battle.

Edited by Baracuda