Help me choose between these 3 bikes

Op1

Good day all,

hope you are all well and safe during this crazy time.

I am looking at getting into mountain biking and would like your thoughts on the following 3 bikes. my budget is about 12-14k. I will be doing trails (hennops and van ghalens) on weekends. I am looking for a bike that will not only handle these routes but have have the durability on components as I improve as a rider. basically im looking for a balance on value and good equipment

I have found the following bikes, but im not limited to these if you have other suggestions or advice.

https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail-aluminium/pre-owned-specialized-hardrock-sport-m-bm6197/

https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail-aluminium/pre-owned-gt-avalanche-comp-m-bm6241/

https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail/pre-owned-mtb-hardtail-aluminium/pre-owned-momsen-al329-my21-m-bm6162/

I like the momsen and GT, but I not sure whether their components are sufficient

Thanks for the advice in advance

OP1

Momsen has the best drivetrain (1x12). Can't tell whether the brakes are cable operated or hydraulic. If they are hydraulic, I would take the Momsen. Look after your SRAM rear cassette though and change chains when they get to 0.5 wear. SRAM cassettes are not cheap. Then save to upgrade the brakes in due course to Shimano or SRAM. You might find a good compatible used set on this site. 

4 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Momsen has the best drivetrain (1x12). Can't tell whether the brakes are cable operated or hydraulic. If they are hydraulic, I would take the Momsen. Look after your SRAM rear cassette though and change chains when they get to 0.5 wear. SRAM cassettes are not cheap. Then save to upgrade the brakes in due course to Shimano or SRAM. You might find a good compatible used set on this site. 

Agree, spend a bit more and get the Momsen.

The Specialized is not exactly a bargain at that price. Very basic bike with a straight head tube which limits your possibility for upgrading the fork.

The GT seems decent at the price and has Suntour XCR air fork.

The Momsen also has the XCR air fork but has 1x12 drivetrain which is quite a bit nicer than that on the GT.

The Momsen has basic Tektro hydraulic brakes and the GT has basic Shimano hydraulic brakes. Both should be adequate. Not much in in between these two as far as I am concerned.

The Momsen does look to be in a better condition.

3 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Raidon that is already on there.

Those scratches on the stanchions will cause problems in the long run

HI Everyone,

thanks for your help and responses, I pulled the trigger and got the Momsen, bike is in excellent condition and rides really great, looking forward to many adventures with it

10 hours ago, Op1 said:

HI Everyone,

thanks for your help and responses, I pulled the trigger and got the Momsen, bike is in excellent condition and rides really great, looking forward to many adventures with it

Enjoy it.  First step into many more expenditures to upgrade/change and get it according to your personal taste ... :).

Thanks TheoG, but honestly I hope it takes a while to go down the route of upgrades. Similar to other hobbies I've had, Biking seems to fill the criteria of never ending upgrades and new parts etc.

Edited by Op1

2 minutes ago, Op1 said:

Thanks TheoG, but honestly I hope it takes a while to go down the route of upgrades. Similar to other hobbies I've had, Biking seems to fill the criteria of throwing alot of money into upgrades and new parts etc.

Such a slippery slope .... :whistling:

Friend rented a bike at the local trails .... LOVED it, and wore out his keyboard trawling the classifieds ....  Bought a DECENT hardtail.

I serviced the bike for him.  We did a tubeless conversion.  He was SORTED !!

Few months later he "upgraded" to a full suspension bike ....  MANY members here will question if that is truly an upgrade ....  either way, we did some nice trails on Friday.  At the start of a techie section we stopped and I lowered his seat .... whole new world of itching started ...

Some the members here that do a LOT more distance than I, and who ride a LOT more technical stuff do so on hardtails with a decent fork and dropper seat post.  For the rest they make sure they have decent tires at the right pressure .....  the marketers hate these guys, as they have realised you dont need to go all the way down the rabit hole .....

which ever route you choose, ENJOY your riding