Garmin Edge 500 battery replacement

Stephan

When I switch it on the battery status says 99%. 25mins into my ride, it drops to 3% and then dies. I reckon I need a new battery. Has anyone done a battery replacement recently? Any help/advice will be appreciated. 

Hi, send this or personally book it in at Garmin in Rosebank (JHBG) and they will upgrade you to the next model up. A small balance is what you will pay. You will be better off than spending money on a new battery.

what @TCTG said.

send it to garmin, pay R1700 and you get a brand new unit.  

the only way to get a battery is to order from the likes of amazon

26 minutes ago, fanievb said:

what @TCTG said.

send it to garmin, pay R1700 and you get a brand new unit.  

the only way to get a battery is to order from the likes of amazon

When last did you get a replacement unit? Not sure its R1,7K anymore, suspect it will be more expensive...

Not entirely sure the replacement route is worth it anymore.

I think if the OP can update us on final cost, then at least we can work out what that percentage increase it is since the R1700 amount mentioned.

Batteries are available ... R200-R300 from what I've seen.

Some are replaced by simply unplugging while others may need cutting and reconnecting of a cable or two.

Check the You Tube videos for the 500 unit.

4 minutes ago, Titleist said:

They don’t give a newer model. They replace like for like.

They do give a newer model if the one going in has been discontinued such as the 500 in this case. I sent a 500 in and received a 520 in return. This was in 2018, so now it will probably be the 530.

1 minute ago, Titleist said:

I called them a few weeks ago to enquire about an 820 and they said you get the same model that you hand in. 

They replaced my Garmin 500 with a Garmin 520 few years back, the 500 has been discontinued ages ago.

I suspect the OP will have to pay quite a bit more than the R1,7K mentioned earlier to get the current equivalent model at a "factory price"

If he is still happy with the Garmin 500 I would suggest going for the replacement battery via the internet and youtube instructions (that Thomo suggested)

Some info received from Garmin:

Unit is discontinued, they do not replace batteries for any of the Edge units. 

Unit can be booked in and sent to Garmin SA for a discounted quote on a replacement unit. 

I asked Garmin for a ballpark figure, and they said I can expect a discount of about 20-30% off the new retail price as per Garmin. However for an official quote the unit needs to be booked in.

3 hours ago, Stephan said:

Some info received from Garmin:

Unit is discontinued, they do not replace batteries for any of the Edge units. 

Unit can be booked in and sent to Garmin SA for a discounted quote on a replacement unit. 

I asked Garmin for a ballpark figure, and they said I can expect a discount of about 20-30% off the new retail price as per Garmin. However for an official quote the unit needs to be booked in.

In principal its really daft that something stupid like a flat battery means the end of your Garmin, really a battery is something that one should be able to replace.

I would assume that getting a replacement battery locally  would be a mission. For example the battery replacement kit mentioned in the previous post, the company does not ship to South Africa. Also, (I may be wrong about this), I think that shipping companies are not allowed to send batteries by airfreight anymore. I would rather browse the classifieds section, there was a number of Edge 500s up for sale at very reasonable prices. I purchased mine here of the Hub's classified section a number of years ago, and it's still going strong with really good battery life. 

Another option would be to see if you cannot hack a battery intended for a cell-phone, and with a bit of soldering you may just come right.

Edited by Jaco Steyn

1 hour ago, Jaco Steyn said:

I would assume that getting a replacement battery locally  would be a mission. For example the battery replacement kit mentioned in the previous post, the company does not ship to South Africa. Also, (I may be wrong about this), I think that shipping companies are not allowed to send batteries by airfreight anymore. I would rather browse the classifieds section, there was a number of Edge 500s up for sale at very reasonable prices. I purchased mine here of the Hub's classified section a number of years ago, and it's still going strong with really good battery life. 

Another option would be to see if you cannot hack a battery intended for a cell-phone, and with a bit of soldering you may just come right.

Ohhh, I didn't realise they don't ship to SA. Scrap that idea then.