garmin edge 130 and triathlon ....Extended display

soslow

Hello all you tech gurus.

I have got the garmin edge 130 and would like to use the extended display for triathlons, when on the bike.

My question is, will the screen stay on in extended display mode, when i am on the swim leg or will it go to sleep or switch off after 10 minutes as per normal ? 

Apologies but i am not very tech savvy.

I would recommend not leaving your Edge 130 on your bike in transition during the swim as these have a habit of being stolen.

Better to leave it in your bike transition bag and switch it on when you change to bike kit in T1.  Whilst getting your cycling kit on it will get gps.  Then carry it with you to your bike.  

If you have set up extended display prior it should then work for your bike leg.

I race with a Garmin 945 watch in triathlon mode and use a Edge 520 on the bike so the display is in front of me.  I don't use extended display, as long as I have my 945 always broadcasting HR then the Edge 520 picks this HR up and all other cycling data is on the Edge 520 anyway.  

I will end up recording the bike leg on the 945 and the 520 and just delete the 520 workout after the race.

I once put my Edge 530 on my bike prior to the swim, put it to sleep, and then turned on when I started the bike leg - I had read that this was the quickest way to get it fired up. When it woke up it froze, and I could only get it working about 10km in. Even then, it did not pick up HR or my PM, so now I do it as mentioned above, and just switch on as I'm going through transition. No problem since then, even if it takes a few seconds to pick up GPS.

We have a 130, and it stays on until you switch it off ....  Dont know of a setting to auto shut down after a pre-set time of inactivity.  (would be handy if somebody can point out such a function)

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

We have a 130, and it stays on until you switch it off ....  Dont know of a setting to auto shut down after a pre-set time of inactivity.  (would be handy if somebody can point out such a function)

I dont know if I set it up on mine or if it came pre set, but mine auto shuts off after a period of inactivity

30 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I dont know if I set it up on mine or if it came pre set, but mine auto shuts off after a period of inactivity

That is my concern. I was wondering if it stays on when in in extended display mode. This function basically mirrors your watch to the edge 130 and you get total elapsed time etc on the edge computer. Sorry if i`m not making much sense. Still trying to figure it all out.    

34 minutes ago, soslow said:

That is my concern. I was wondering if it stays on when in in extended display mode. This function basically mirrors your watch to the edge 130 and you get total elapsed time etc on the edge computer. Sorry if i`m not making much sense. Still trying to figure it all out.    

Please read and digest my earlier post.  As highlighted, you do not need it to be mirrored.  In fact it just complicates things to go wrong on the day.  Just ensure you have heart rate on your watch broadcasting when doing a workout (i.e the race) and pair the watch heart rate monitor with your 130.  

If you mirror you only get what is shown on your watch.  If you just use your 130 as a normal cycling computer and have the HRM from either a watch or strap paired to the 130, then you can have more data fields on the 130 for the cycling leg.

Take 130 out of your T1 bag and switch on and take with you on the bike leg.  Switch off in T2 and drop it in your run bag when you have finished the bike leg.  Then there is no chance for idle hands to help themselves to a bike computer left on the bike