swimmers

butafly

does any of the tri athletes on the board know of the suppliers of a "contraption" that would allow a swimmer to swim in one spot. something like an indoor trainer for cyclists.

I've heard of such a thing, but it's used for stroke correction, much like a wind tunnel, and not for training. However, there isn't one in SA.

Phen thanks for reply . i saw an article in a cycling mag a few years back - the article was trying to get cyclists to try out tri-athlons and for swimming, this piece of equipment was a sort of harness worn by the swimmer with a bungee cord that was anchored to the end of the pool (i.e. small garden pool that doesnt allow for proper training). the swimmer was able to swim but stayed in one spot

Oh, okay - Sounds like a smart idea for training in a home swimming pool. The thing I'm talking about is a small pool with a machine rushing the water past the swimmers body at a set speed, and it has a couple of cameras fixed to observe the swimmers stroke from every angle. My brother is a swimmer, so will ask him if he knows anytihng about the 'harness'.

You can buy one at Sportmans Warehouse. I forget what they are called but its a harness that goes round your waist (like the water buffalo use at aqua aerobics) and attaches to the side of the pool. Not sure if it will help you analyse stroke since the harness will provide additional bouyancy but you can decide for yourself.

As for the device Phen is talking about, its called Endless Pools and is an amazing training aid, only problem is that they cost about $12000 for the basics and will not work in just any old pool, although I have heard that a portable one is going to be available soon.