Cross cape on my ace??

Stavros94

Hi all I’m planning the cross cape for the end of the year. It’s something iv wanted to do for ages and I haven’t had the best two years with this darn pandemic. I’m looking to do this ride to end 2021 off on a high note and let the better times roll in 2022.

i ultimately would like to do it on my own  to allow my self to clear my mind and reboot so to say.

is this a really kaaak idea ?  I’ll have all the important items with me I plan to travel light and sleep well in some bnbs

5 to 6 days is my goal to do it in.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Styvie said:

Hi all I’m planning the cross cape for the end of the year. It’s something iv wanted to do for ages and I haven’t had the best two years with this darn pandemic. I’m looking to do this ride to end 2021 off on a high note and let the better times roll in 2022.

i ultimately would like to do it on my own  to allow my self to clear my mind and reboot so to say.

is this a really kaaak idea ?  I’ll have all the important items with me I plan to travel light and sleep well in some bnbs

Nike it!

All jokes aside this is a safe and accommodating route, the only thing to consider is that some parts do not have mobile coverage so if you get into trouble you are a bit in the k@k. But if you have an SOS GPS type thing you would be fine. 

13 minutes ago, TDFN said:

All jokes aside this is a safe and accommodating route, the only thing to consider is that some parts do not have mobile coverage so if you get into trouble you are a bit in the k@k. But if you have an SOS GPS type thing you would be fine. 

This is my only concern. Iv seen the gps systems for sale around the 3k mark plus then x amount on a subscription. I just wouldn’t have much use for it after the ride. /: 

9 hours ago, Styvie said:

It's totally doable on your own. Plenty of people done much crazier longer rides without issues. It's hardly an isolated route though.

Go push your boundaries, enjoy the experience and solitude

8 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I can tell you from experience that on any trip I have done, day 1 is the only day I don't enjoy. From there on it is pure magic. The reason for this is I have to ride through CT. Start closer to FH. It feels way better. There is absolutely nothing to fear. I have no doubt you will love it. Next post we want to see is the ride report. 

Hey man ! I live in knysna for the time being originally from noordhoek. So I’ll be starting in knysna and heading down. 

There will definitely be a ride report coming soon ! 

11 hours ago, TDFN said:

Shackleton got from Antarctica to Elephant Island without a GPS. He should be okay finding Swellendam without one.

Edited by Baracuda

53 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Do it - I see this in my future too

Same here. I most likely would be doing it on my own as well. I just need to work out my route. Probably 3 to 5 days. I am not fit to conquer the very steep hills, but I am not bothered. Its about getting out!!

1 hour ago, copperhead said:

Cool man. I might be passing your town soon. I am leaving today for a few months. Pack smartly and light. A heavy bike is torture. I believe that route is quite popular so even though you will be alone I am sure you will see others. Enjoy the journey Sir. If not mistaken Rae Trew Bone (spelling)did a brilliant write up about it. I would suggest reading it. I found it interesting and very useful. 

To where are you heading?

5 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Same here. I most likely would be doing it on my own as well. I just need to work out my route. Probably 3 to 5 days. I am not fit to conquer the very steep hills, but I am not bothered. Its about getting out!!

Iv just recovered from a running injury (eye roll) so I’m going to focus much more on being on the bike than running. I’m relatively okay with the big hills … but the 11/46 cassette will take care of anything my legs can’t ????

20 hours ago, Styvie said:

This is my only concern. Iv seen the gps systems for sale around the 3k mark plus then x amount on a subscription. I just wouldn’t have much use for it after the ride. /: 

You can rent a spot tracker from https://www.sat4rent.co.za/rent.htm

I would defo recommend taking one if you going solo.

as mentioned I did a write up with images of my solo ride. Check Matts reply for the links ????