Cycling when there is lightning

LBKloppers

Cycling is a passion for me. I am too old and too casual to try and win races, but I do ride more that most. Since the summer raining season appears to have started in Gauteng, I was wondering how my fellow Hubbers feel about cycling in the rain and especially when there is lightning? As much as I like cycling, I am dead afraid of lightning. It my phobia and I will definitely not ride when there is lightning around.

Apparently as long as your tyres are made of rubber and your body is not earthed… then you should be ok wrt being struck by lightening…..????

Comic sans font not available.....

Edited by SwissVan
Try to change text to Comic sans.....

11 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Apparently as long as your tyres are made of rubber and your body is not earthed… then you should be ok wrt being struck by lightening…..????

i don't know for sure, but i think bike tyres are a bit wimpy compared to car tyres. remember, a car is also a Faraday cage. But even if i did survive a lightning strike on a bike, I'll probably be deaf.

1 hour ago, LBKloppers said:

Cycling is a passion for me. I am too old and too casual to try and win races, but I do ride more that most. Since the summer raining season appears to have started in Gauteng, I was wondering how my fellow Hubbers feel about cycling in the rain and especially when there is lightning? As much as I like cycling, I am dead afraid of lightning. It my phobia and I will definitely not ride when there is lightning around.

I think your fear of lightning is well founded. I don't start a ride when there is lightning around, but the big challenege is to what to do when it arrives and one is riding already. The bicycle unfortunately does not work as a Faraday Cage. Obviously getting indoors is first prize, but when this is not possible my research has shown that you should keep riding and at least 50m away from other cyclists. That way only one cyclist gets struck at a time!

10 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

i don't know for sure, but i think bike tyres are a bit wimpy compared to car tyres. remember, a car is also a Faraday cage. But even if i did survive a lightning strike on a bike, I'll probably be deaf.

having had a few lightning strikes pretty close to me in the past its bloody frightening, and yes, deaf and blind (and a bit smelly) afterwards.

We have one of those red and white communications towers behind the house, as its the tallest thing around it gets hit often. Seeing the flash and hearing the bang at exactly the same time makes you jump.

21 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I think your fear of lightning is well founded. I don't start a ride when there is lightning around, but the big challenege is to what to do when it arrives and one is riding already. The bicycle unfortunately does not work as a Faraday Cage. Obviously getting indoors is first prize, but when this is not possible my research has shown that you should keep riding and at least 50m away from other cyclists. That way only one cyclist gets struck at a time!

I once read somewhere that the safest way is to dismount and sit in a bundle with your feet together. I had to do that once in the Namaqualand as I was the tallest think for miles around. I am still here, so it must have worked. The thing is, I also read that it is not necessarily the tallest structure being hit. Lightning is an electrostatic thing. I don't think its easy to predict where the static discharge is likely to be.

15 minutes ago, ouzo said:

having had a few lightning strikes pretty close to me in the past its bloody frightening, and yes, deaf and blind (and a bit smelly) afterwards.

We have one of those red and white communications towers behind the house, as its the tallest thing around it gets hit often. Seeing the flash and hearing the bang at exactly the same time makes you jump.

I will smell

25 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Personally absolutely love riding in the rain, I also tend to ride in areas with a lot of trees, so chances of getting hit is next to 0

I am not so sure the trees surrounding you is keeping you safe. We've always been told NOT to hide under trees during a lightning storm. It not that you're likely to be hit, but the proximity of the strike may have dire consequences.

2 minutes ago, LBKloppers said:

I am not so sure the trees surrounding you is keeping you safe. We've always been told NOT to hide under trees during a lightning storm. It not that you're likely to be hit, but the proximity of the strike may have dire consequences.

Didn’t say safe, just lower chance, with chances of being hit already being so low and many tall objects around you, even lower

Just now, AkwA said:

Didn’t say safe, just lower chance, with chances of being hit already being so low and many tall objects around you, even lower

You are never “safe” on a bike though, I know of someone that almost died from practicing track stands in his driveway, fell and handlebar damaged organs

You can fall at any time and break your neck

No point in thinking about it like this, just have fun

53 minutes ago, LBKloppers said:

I once read somewhere that the safest way is to dismount and sit in a bundle with your feet together. I had to do that once in the Namaqualand as I was the tallest think for miles around. I am still here, so it must have worked. The thing is, I also read that it is not necessarily the tallest structure being hit. Lightning is an electrostatic thing. I don't think its easy to predict where the static discharge is likely to be.

We work on construction sites building tailings dams. Our lightning safety instructions if you are caught in the open are:-

1. Squat down on your toes. ie dont have feet flat on ground ( not sure why)

2. Head down

3. Hands over ears. 

Edited by I FLY
spelling

2 hours ago, I FLY said:

We work on construction sites building tailings dams. Our lightning safety instructions if you are caught in the open are:-

1. Squat down on your toes. ie dont have feet flat on ground ( not sure why)

2. Head down

3. Hands over ears. 

1: so the poo comes out easier