Cycling when there is lightning

LBKloppers

I’ve been struck by lightning while hiking in the berg. 
Now whenever it looks a bit sketch and I want to go run or ride I check my lightning app and make a call based on distance. 

Trust me, it’s a myth that the tallest things get struck. I was struck walking down a contour path with plenty things higher than me in my immediate vicinity. 

Rules for staying safe:

if you can find a hollow spot to hide, do that.

Crouch down - do not lie down. Most people are killed from nearby strikes hitting the ground and then conducting from the ground into their bodies.

If you have a backpack stand on that instead of the ground.

If in doubt, don’t go out!

It has something to do with the rate of dissipation.

Your body becomes the conductor, so if you only have 2 small contact points right next to one another, then the circuit is completed with minimal bridging between current values.

In the 90s a group of girls were on a school camp and were sleeping in one of those big 'centre pole' type tents. Lightning struck the pole and then earthed in the middle of the tent. Those sleeping 'length way' (either head or feet closest to the pole, the other end pointing away) died. Those sleeping 'sideways' (think head and toes the same distance from the pole) survived.

This really happened. I had a few friends on that trip.

So I've always remembered the basic 'what to do' and why. 

Electricity is one of my very few irrational fears. I am absolutely 100% petrified of it

7 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

i don't know for sure, but i think bike tyres are a bit wimpy compared to car tyres. remember, a car is also a Faraday cage. But even if i did survive a lightning strike on a bike, I'll probably be deaf.

Sorry I couldnt find the Comic sans font in my first post