1993 cannondale repaint

G0ku

I bought this old school cannondale from a guy who did a really bad aerosol paint job and put flat bars on it. 

I immediately recognized the frame as an old cannondale (mainly because of the dropouts and the smooth welds) and  knew it would make a good project bike.

So I bought a little spray gun and some automotive paint and did my first ever DIY paint job on it and but some drop bars on it,

I'm running it as a 1x drivetrain just because I love how simple and clean it looks with that one big chainring in the front.

Hope you guys enjoy these photos ???? Let me know what your thoughts are!

Also, if anyone could identify the model, that would be great. I looked at the 1993 catalogue (the serial number indicates November 1993), and this frame looks very similar to the 3.0 R500, but I couldn't find any photos of any bikes with the original blue/silver fade paint job. The fork also has a 1 1/4" steerer tube if that helps with ID

IMG_20210901_160545.jpg

IMG_20210905_130541.jpg

IMG_20210905_135253.jpg

IMG_20210909_173123.jpg

IMG_20210915_174740.jpg

IMG_20210916_172656.jpg

IMG_20210918_155356.jpg

IMG_20210918_161014.jpg

IMG_20210928_103441.jpg

IMG_20210928_103453.jpg

IMG_20210928_103459.jpg

IMG_20210928_103524.jpg

IMG_20210928_103535.jpg

IMG-20210927-WA0029.jpeg

Edited by Aidan Hendriks

I preferred the green.

Oh, and the frame is many sizes too big for you it appears.

Edited by TNT1

Thanks for the feedback ???? 

What size frame should I be riding? I'm 178cm tall 

Cool paint job.

Neatly done, no way I will be able to do that.

Awesome that the frame got a second chance on life.

I will put decals on, probably black decals or white if you want them to stand out.

Enjoy your bike.

3 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Cool paint job.

Neatly done, no way I will be able to do that.

Awesome that the frame got a second chance on life.

I will put decals on, probably black decals or white if you want them to stand out.

Enjoy your bike.

Thanks man!

yeah some decals would probably look really good on it. 

27 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I preferred the green.

Oh, and the frame is many sizes too big for you it appears.

Edited by Aidan Hendriks
forgot to quote the post I was replying to

I think this looks great. Some decals will really finish it off nicely.

The wonderful thing about a project like this is, that it is your bike, and as long as you like the way it looks and get enjoyment from riding it, it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else thinks.

I can't help with the sizing query unfortunately, but if you find it comfortable then I really don't see why you can't ride it as is.

13 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Good on you. Great job but sadly (and in my opinion) you ruined a legendary 30 year old frame. 

I think the aerosol job ruined the frame, this is much more tasteful. Looks a bit EF inspired!

24 minutes ago, Aidan Hendriks said:

I am 178 and ride a 54 or 52 depending on the frame. I am currently on a 52 canyon which is quite an aggressive (read: uncomfortable if I don't keep up my core work) fit

17 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I think the aerosol job ruined the frame, this is much more tasteful. Looks a bit EF inspired!

That was exactly my thinking. If the frame hadn't been lazily painted with cheap hardware store spray paint I wouldn't have done any paint work on it at all.

The frame was also pretty oxidized in some areas like under the chain stays, which was just painted over by the green.

34 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Good on you. Great job but sadly (and in my opinion) you ruined a legendary 30 year old frame. 

2 minutes ago, Aidan Hendriks said:

That was exactly my thinking. If the frame hadn't been lazily painted with cheap hardware store spray paint I wouldn't have done any paint work on it at all.

The frame was also pretty oxidized in some areas like under the chain stays, which was just painted over by the green.

The dude didn't even take off the cranks or BB. Sommer sprayed the cranks green too, which obviously (due to a lack of aluminium etching primer) just chipped off and looked horrible, hence the polished cranks 

33 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I am 178 and ride a 54 or 52 depending on the frame. I am currently on a 52 canyon which is quite an aggressive (read: uncomfortable if I don't keep up my core work) fit

Alright, this is a 56cm, and it does feel a bit stretched, but it doesn't really worry me. I'm totally new to road bikes and I tried out a 51cm Raleigh, which just felt way too small.

I'm 1.78 and I ride a 56cm which I find comfortable.

16 minutes ago, Aidan Hendriks said:

Alright, this is a 56cm, and it does feel a bit stretched, but it doesn't really worry me. I'm totally new to road bikes and I tried out a 51cm Raleigh, which just felt way too small.

2 minutes ago, Roadstorm said:

I'm 1.78 and I ride a 56cm which I find comfortable.

I've been told by some people and a quick google search that 54-58cm would fit, depending on the brand, but yeah I don't have any pain or tiredness in my neck/back/arms or anything like that when I ride this one