Road cycling in Gauteng

G0ku

I'm new to road bikes, but am really enjoying the more refined, light weight, smoother side of cycling, as opposed to riding a rigid 26er on South African pavements, which is more like singletrack.

I have a few questions for the roadies out there.

1. Where can I find a group of casual cyclists to ride with?

2. Are there rigid rules about dress code? Do I have to go and buy lycra and all that?

3. I have heard that the world of road cycling can be a little pretentious/elitist (Not trying to insult anyone, this is just what I've heard).

For those of you who know, how true is this? are people just ignorant and get the wrong idea from the road cycling community? 

If you have any suggestions or advice I would love to hear what the various hubbers out there think of all this. (go easy on me, I'm a noob)

Edited by G0ku

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Where do you stay, or plan to ride?

I stay in Pretoria East

9 hours ago, G0ku said:

I stay in Pretoria East

Cycle lab have a group maybe go in store and ask. Also try LCC and ASG they have group rides. 

First off, welcome to the world of skinny wheels. 

1. I stay in PE so cannot answer this question. 

2. You can wear what you want, but cycling shorts are recommended. 

3. There is nothing pretentious/elitist about road cyclists. For most part, they  are a great bunch. Now that you have moved into the world of smooth surfaces, let's hope your old mtb friends don't consider you pretentious/elitists. 

15 hours ago, G0ku said:

1. Where can I find a group of casual cyclists to ride with?  If you can get to Erasmusrand area 6:30-ish or so you can join us for a leisurely 80km to Babs (bf) and back.  Send me a PM if interested. We stop regularly etc

2. Are there rigid rules about dress code? Do I have to go and buy lycra and all that?  No, I cycle with my running shoes / flat pedals etc.

3. I have heard that the world of road cycling can be a little pretentious/elitist (Not trying to insult anyone, this is just what I've heard).

For those of you who know, how true is this? are people just ignorant and get the wrong idea from the road cycling community? 

Quite yes, can appear like that at times, just smile and wave.   You are doing it because you like cycling, don't worry about the rest :) :) 

5 hours ago, Eugene said:

First off, welcome to the world of skinny wheels. 

1. I stay in PE so cannot answer this question. 

2. You can wear what you want, but cycling shorts are recommended. 

3. There is nothing pretentious/elitist about road cyclists. For most part, they  are a great bunch. Now that you have moved into the world of smooth surfaces, let's hope your old mtb friends don't consider you pretentious/elitists. 

Thanks, Eugene ???? 

well I don't really have MTB friends as I don't really do proper mountain biking at bike parks etc, mostly just commuting, but road cycling seems like it could make for a more social ride

1 hour ago, Pieter-za said:

I was just about to make an edit to ask about flat pedals ????

I actually reckon the 'hardcore' #enduro bro mtbers are generally way more elitist and obsessed with their kit, their strava and their #squad coolness.

Road cycling is awesome. 

Just don't get sucked into taking it or yourself too seriously, no matter how good/fast you get.

23 hours ago, G0ku said:

I'm new to road bikes, but am really enjoying the more refined, light weight, smoother side of cycling, as opposed to riding a rigid 26er on South African pavements, which is more like singletrack.

I have a few questions for the roadies out there.

1. Where can I find a group of casual cyclists to ride with?

2. Are there rigid rules about dress code? Do I have to go and buy lycra and all that?

If you have any suggestions or advice I would love to hear what the various hubbers out there think of all this. (go easy on me, I'm a noob)

Some good advice so far...

Choose a club that accommodates for noobies. As with most clubs (any) it's usually all about fitting in. Go and play golf in your vellies and you might not be accepted by the group! Often your inclusion into the clique within the group will depend on your performance as s cyclist. All the above aside, I still prefer riding on my own but also enjoy riding with the stronger riders in the club even when I get blown off the back after climbing the last monster hill.

Lycra pants/shorts have a built in comfort panel that is very necessary. Ride in normal shorts at your own peril....cleated shoes become a must as you advance in skill and want your feet to be securely planted on the pedals.

Good luck with your riding....and keep left...flashing lights on your bike is a must. Stay Safe!