Video: RockShox launches electric self-adjusting suspension

News bot

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Let’s hope the NEXT revolutionary improvement is self-STEERING bikes, I find it quite irritating to have to hold on to the handlebars continuously…..

????

let's not jump too far ahead already, few more steps before we get there

FLIGHT ATTENDANT fully active suspension?...this is entry level to where they're taking us. SRAM have got NAVIGATOR in the wings, you upload a gpx of the trail before you ride it and the suspension settings adjust to the preset terrain changes. When that hype has died down, AUTOPILOT will be released. Their new head unit has a front facing camera stack with 3D stereoscopic AI feature recognition capabilites. It will see the rocks, roots and dongas before you're out the berm. When you really trust the systems in place, the colab with TESLA brings us a range of VELOBOT self driving bikes will take you through the trail without even having to steer, (pedalling also optional).

jokes aside, if this actually works then I'm very impressed. i assume it has learning capabilites/feedback. early adopters could be real guinea pigs with weekly software updates to the algorithm.

will be interesting to hear rider feedback.

all the feedback i have ever heard regarding the brain is - its brilliant for racing XC but otherwise too harsh for everyday use.

will be keen to hear if this is that same with this new system. it might be faster, but its still reacting after the fact.

Sjoe, something I can only dream about and something I will NEVER own. I'm not really keen on any electronics on my bike, apart from the GPS and the light.  For me, going for a ride is to get away fro electronics and computers (I almost said and the wife as well, but lets rather not) and enjoy the outdoors, and not to worry when the batteries will die.

BUT, I would love to give this a go.

Disclaimer I haven't watched or read anything about this. 

But most pro's EWS and xc riders don't ride with live valve and I believe we'll see the same with this. 

Nice and all but not the type of complexity pros want on their rigs. 

Like all high end features they start at a premium and filter down to the masses as the tech gets adopted. Think ABS for cars, airbags, stability controls  - at first only on high end cars with massive price tags. Now it's pretty much a feature we expect on every car. Motorbikes didn't have any of it. Now you buy with traction control, wheelie control, different setups for power outputs etc.

I can see a future world with advanced terrain sensing software built in to the forks and shocks which adjust much faster and electronic valvlng as its still using motors. Active suspension with ABS for MTB will start to mean the type of stuff that required real skill to ride is now looked after by software.

Remember the massive debates about disc brakes on road bikes and flying knives etc. Ho hum look now. Wider tyres and disc brakes the norm.

I cant imagine what this will start to look like integrated in to a really good ebike package with big tyres etc. 

But then again i am in tech and love tech so this is so cool. Can't wait

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

But most pro's EWS and xc riders don't ride with live valve and I believe we'll see the same with this. 

Agreed but the percentage of cyclists who are pro's is the same as the percentage of drivers who have a super license for F1. Very low. But  its not focused on them as they dont need it. It's the 99,5% of the average riders out there who will have a much better day because of this. Just like software in the average supercar makes it drivable if your name isn't Alonso, Vettel or Verstappen, this will make it accessible. 

And i still dont get the obsession with riding pro level stuff when you are a weekend warrior. 

38 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

XCO Pro's don't use Livevlave because it adds weight (280gr)  and the Enduro pro's don't like the wires.

Flight Attendant has neither of these issues and also tom Pidcock won the Olympic XCO Gold using a electronic active suspension by Suntour......

PS: Flight Attendant isn't available in an XCO suspension platform yet (wait another couple of months) so theres' that. We might see the pre launch prototype on SRAM riders bikes at the Cape Epic.

Edited by DieselnDust

57 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

From what I gather, it's just a motorised compression switch with extra steps.