Play in Lyne dropper

Trashy

I've had my dropper about 2 1/2 months, done less than 200km. Was riding last week and noticed play in the dropper while riding. Checked afterwards and there's noticably more play than before and it is not just rotational, but also front to back.

I wouldn't say there's a huge amount, but it went from being imperceptible to being annoyingly noticable.

I haven't ridden in adverse conditions and I clean the seals with a soft tip toothbrush after each ride as well as wipe the post with a microfibre cloth.

Is this normal or should i be looking at servicing it already?

1 hour ago, NeverNotRolling said:

You can contact them, they're very helpful with support for their products.

I did message this morning, haven't heard back yet. Was just curious to hear from other Hubbers as well.

Edited by Trashy
Grammar

Mmmm...noticed the same thing. Mine is about the same age and usage as yours. I also have some lateral sideways and forward/backwards play.

Maybe its time to tension the cable perhaps? I'm thinking it may have "settled in" now from being new?

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

I've had my dropper about 2 1/2 months, done less than 200km. Was riding last week and noticed play in the dropper while riding. Checked afterwards and there's noticably more play than before and it is not just rotational, but also front to back.

I wouldn't say there's a huge amount, but it went from being imperceptible to being annoyingly noticable.

I haven't ridden in adverse conditions and I clean the seals with a soft tip toothbrush after each ride as well as wipe the post with a microfibre cloth.

Is this normal or should i be looking at servicing it already?

Normal, mine does it too. Service kit is the only fix or fox

That's super frustrating. The rotational play I can live with, but I find the back and forth movement irritating. Feels like there's a suspension linkage that's loose (I checked, there isn't)

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

That's super frustrating. The rotational play I can live with, but I find the back and forth movement irritating. Feels like there's a suspension linkage that's loose (I checked, there isn't)

Bought mine 2nd hand. Was used by the original owner for around 2 years. I have been using it for a month or two and is also has some rotational play but definitely no back and forth movement. 

I opened, cleaned and applied fresh sram butter after my first couple of rides and added pressure it's much better now. I also like the return speed now it's much faster ???????? have also had the Fox transfer Kashima and Rockshox Reverb stealth and all of them had play. I would say Rockshox the least amount and Fox with the smoothest action but neither justify the price difference. 

image.png.63d7de46990eb28c4a24ac36a8a2388b.png

I did ask them a while back when I noticed it. It's not really play that you can feel, it's more you than you can hear it, it's minimal, but still a bit annoying.

Since Stoke serviced it I haven't noticed it, haven't paid attention though... (haven't ridden it much either since 99% of my rides on the MTB were with the fixed seatpost lately)

Edited by Jbr

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

image.png.63d7de46990eb28c4a24ac36a8a2388b.png

I did ask them a while back when I noticed it. It's not really play that you can feel, it's more you than you can hear it, it's minimal, but still a bit annoying.

Since Stoke serviced it I haven't noticed it, haven't paid attention though... (haven't ridden it much easier since 99% of my rides on the MTB were with the fixed seatpost lately)

Thank you for sharing that.

I checked again carefully though and mine definitely does have play forwards and backwards.

There is a marked difference between the amount of play when it was new to what I'm experiencing now. I was mostly surprised by how little use it has taken for this change to happen, as well as the suddenness of the difference.

Dont stress, I remember mine also had like the smallest amount of ‘slop’. and they would swop it in a hartbeat if it was an issue because my first 170mm was a bit sticky after a few months and they warrantied all the internals, installed it and everything for free. They stand behind their stuff.

3 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Thank you for sharing that.

I checked again carefully though and mine definitely does have play forwards and backwards.

There is a marked difference between the amount of play when it was new to what I'm experiencing now. I was mostly surprised by how little use it has taken for this change to happen, as well as the suddenness of the difference.

I’ve got a decent amount of play on mine too. I’ve got the KIND SHOCK LEV INTEGRA on my ebike which by comparison has no compliance whatsoever. 

the key difference is that the lyne and many others use a cartridge strut as the internal mechanism to raise the post, similar to your car bonnet or boot. You can’t really service the strut, when it eventually goes you simply replace it. 

fox, rock shox, kind etc all use a serviceable air canister similar to your fork which requires more maintenance cycles, but gives you that stiffness I think you’re after.

4 minutes ago, Kom said:

I’ve got a decent amount of play on mine too. I’ve got the KIND SHOCK LEV INTEGRA on my ebike which by comparison has no compliance whatsoever. 

the key difference is that the lyne and many others use a cartridge strut as the internal mechanism to raise the post, similar to your car bonnet or boot. You can’t really service the strut, when it eventually goes you simply replace it. 

fox, rock shox, kind etc all use a serviceable air canister similar to your fork which requires more maintenance cycles, but gives you that stiffness I think you’re after.

The stiffness is not found in the air strut, but rather the keys and bushings in the main stantion.

Open up your lyne post and check for excessive wear or maybe a dud bushing. They have published a video on how to service. Though at a couple months old the play should not be excessive. Chat to Lyne, they always very helpful.

I recently had a Giant in my garage with a Lyne dropper and compared the play to my KS LEV - the Lyne def does have more rotational play the the KS LEV but there was no fore and aft movement - I would hazard a guess your needs to be serviced or looked at