Play in Lyne dropper

Trashy

5 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I recently had a Giant in my garage with a Lyne dropper and compared the play to my KS LEV - the Lyne def does have more rotational play the the KS LEV but there was no fore and aft movement - I would hazard a guess your needs to be serviced or looked at

Just a follow on comment but my Kind dropper has more than 3000km of pretty abusive enduro usage on it, the Lyne probably has around 200km in a more XC style of riding.

The post diameter on the Kind is 34.9mm, the lyne at 27.2mm, my other thought is that Lyne were one of the few to make a “long drop” dropper for a 27.2mm post diameter. I still have the Specialized command post for 27.2mm but some here might remember it only had 35-40mm drop, where from a design point of view they clearly wanted the dropper portion diameter to be wider than what my epic supported (easily 31mm on the dropper side of the post, tapers to 27mm to fit the bike).

I would guess that a dropper post on an XC bike get 'hammered' a lot more than one on an enduro rig. 

The XC bike is being pedalled harder for longer periods putting more strain on the post while extended. Most guys tend to soft pedal their bigger bikes a bit more and stop more often than on a race bike.

It's just a guess. I have no scientific evidence.

My droppers seem to last forever. I've had none of the issues. 

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I would guess that a dropper post on an XC bike get 'hammered' a lot more than one on an enduro rig. 

The XC bike is being pedalled harder for longer periods putting more strain on the post while extended. Most guys tend to soft pedal their bigger bikes a bit more and stop more often than on a race bike.

It's just a guess. I have no scientific evidence.

My droppers seem to last forever. I've had none of the issues. 

And they are also being moved up and down a lot more I believe. But honestly except for that little bit of play that thing is bulletproof. I think I paid 1,6 to have it fitted 3 years ago, I sinced moved it to another bike, it must easily have 5000km on it. Best purchase ever

My wife's Lyne quickly developed some side to side play but its never got any worse. My Spesh 125mm has almost none despite a hard life over 4 years. On the other hand, teh newer 34.9m Spesh dropper i got second hand has way more play than either of the others. I simply don't notice it. Now if only the 125mm would stop losing air...

Hey Guys

Just gonna chime in a bit here with some facts on the dropper play debate. 

All droppers of all brands will have play of some sort. Without this they won't operate smoothly and swiftly when you need them to. We often get enquiries from first time dropper owners who are unaware that this is a totally normal part of owning a dropper post.

Dropper play will vary from brand to brand, some starting out great, and getting extremely bad, others with small amounts that don't worsen much over time. The amount of play comes down to machining tolerances and materials (which are also proportionate to the price), as well as the design of the post. It's got nothing to do with the cartridge style that the post has uses as well as cable tension. Our posts typically wear in over the first couple of hours of riding and stay pretty consistent thereafter. We're using 7075 alloy as well as three bushings on our latest version internal post to try and combat play. 

The tolerances are extremely fine when manufacturing a dropper post, so the amount of play will vary between production runs. We have seen very high end dropper brands (some mentioned earlier in this thread) with terribly sloppy posts on the showroom floor, and others from the same brand out in the market with incredibly small amounts of play after years of riding. So there is a certain level of inconsistency between production runs.

The most important question to ask though, is whether the play in any brand of dropper, is affecting your ride. When weight is applied to a dropper the keys are forced in to keyways reducing sideward play, the bushing are loaded rearward due to the seat angle, so the result is actually very little movement whilst riding. Most dropper play is noticed or tested whilst standing along side the bike with no weight on the post and may appear exaggerated compared to actual riding conditions.

If anyone has any issues or queries with one of our droppers please feel free to get in touch any time and we'll gladly assist.

Cheers

Dayle