Idas valley

THA CHEF

How safe is idas valley for somone traveling around 7, 8 and 11 am and also at 2, 10 and 11 pm I'm a chef and use the cycle as a stamdard means of transport working early and late any advise would be amazing 

Don’t know, but I commute with a quick-draw taser….

in a gun fight, it would stay where it is, in a knife fight, same, but if someone wants to take my bike just by force (no weapon), I reckon i could tazer him/her..

extremely light, extremely affordable, R200 or so, worth considering if it is literally in your hands quick reach…

chris

13 hours ago, THA CHEF said:

How safe is idas valley for somone traveling around 7, 8 and 11 am and also at 2, 10 and 11 pm I'm a chef and use the cycle as a stamdard means of transport working early and late any advise would be amazing 

Hi Chef,

I ride Helshoogte often - mostly in the mornings 7-8 and then 10-12 on the return trip. I have never encountered any issues with the locals, BUT the odd stray dog might be a bigger risk when blitzing down the pass into Stellenbosch. I have had the occasions where smallish dogs dart across the road or indulge in road kill on the shoulder of the road. For this very reason I would not cycle Helshoogte at night.

I am not implying that there will never be incidents, but above is my 2 cents' worth based on personal experience over the past 15 years of riding in those parts of the winelands.

Cheers

13 hours ago, THA CHEF said:

I actually ride through idas valley often because there's a really "nice" climb up to The Hydro (a spa or something) on the other side of town. I've always felt totally safe. That was always during daylight hours though, when there are lots of people out and about.  

I know of some incidents that have occurred in the forest and bush around idas valley dam, but that is quite different to riding around the town of idas valley itself and from your question, that is not what you intend to do anyway.