1x11 Upgrade Conversion on Giant Talon 2019 with 12 Speed parts

jdcallan

29 minutes ago, jdcallan said:

@Rolf Hansen excellent question. ????

I was looking for a fork but was unable to find something that would suit the budget and spec. 

I have a small frame, 27.5 Fork. No deals or stock anywhere for that including the used market. 

The drivetrain I have currently works fine but I want to transition to the 1x for ease of use. 

Would most likely upgrade to a better spec bike when I'm ready. 

Fair enough. Forks are incredibly expensive. I know, I just bought a 27.5 fork. 

Closing the loop here. 

After much discussion with a local bike shop based of the feedback here and checking the parts situation locally I have opted for a 1x10 setup with the below components. Abit of an anti-climax to the tittle but works out cheaper with no compatibility issues. 

R800 - SHIMANO DEORE M4100 10SPD MTB CASSETTE 11-46T
R840 - SHIMANO DEORE M5120 SGS 10 REAR DERAILER
R430 - SHIMANO HG54 10 SPD CHAIN
R750 - CSIXX Thick-Thin 104 BCD 34T Mountain Bike Chain Ring
R770 - Shimano Deore M6000 Right Rear 10-Speed Bicycle Shift Lever - SL-M6000-R (From Amazon)

Total: 3690

Thanks all for the assistance. 

7 hours ago, jdcallan said:

Closing the loop here. 

After much discussion with a local bike shop based of the feedback here and checking the parts situation locally I have opted for a 1x10 setup with the below components. Abit of an anti-climax to the tittle but works out cheaper with no compatibility issues. 

R770 - Shimano Deore M6000 Right Rear 10-Speed Bicycle Shift Lever - SL-M6000-R (From Amazon)

Nothing wrong with what you went with in the end. Funny story: I had 1x11 and somewhere somehow I lost a gear (the wheel and bike went to two different places for some maintenance and someone may or may not have pinched it). I thought I had 11 gears and went and did the Baviaans without any issues on my 11 speed cassette, which turned out to only be a 10 :D. So the moral of the story: you'll be just fine on the 11/46T 10 speed.

PS: my cassette had over 5000km on it and I upgraded to a 12 speed directly after the Baviaans so no harm no fowl ????

9 hours ago, jdcallan said:

Closing the loop here. 

That's a very good start at a value for money price point.  My only concern on your behalf is unless you a strong rider the 10 gears might be challenging, the "gaps" between some of the gears are pretty big.  That being said with 34 x 11-46 (I'm on 36 x 10-51 12sp), I would also probably be able to haul my fat arse (105kg) up most climbs.

Enjoy !