The Women’s WorldTour: News, Updates, Chirps

'Dale

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In pro road racing, the UCI sets maximum distances for the elite women's and men's stage races. It sets the Women's WorldTour stages at a maximum distance of 160km and a maximum average daily distance at 140km. The UCI also sets the maximum distances for the men's WorldTour stages at 240km, with a maximum average daily distance at 180km (with a special waiver, organisers may be authorised to include a maximum of two stages of over 240km in races of 10 days and more for elite men).

Regarding, the number of days of competition during a stage race, the UCI sets the elite women's stage races at six days, unless an exemption is made by its Management Committee. The duration of the WorldTour events is determined by the Professional Cycling Council, and for Grands Tours, the duration must be between 15 and 23 days. 

READ MORE HERE https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-closer-look-reveals-the-inequity-at-tour-de-france-femmes/

On 10/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, Danger Dassie said:

Some critical remarks by the CT Freewheeling podcast crew on this recently. 

whether its CT Freewheeling or Cycling Tips main podcast , they seem to be entrenched in their "biases" about certain teams from certain regions.

anyway, i think this is great as its an injection into the women's world tour. And if its developing women's sport in a historically oppressive region then its a double plus.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:38 PM, Vetplant said:

The Cycling Podcast episode, Inside the Peloton where Mitch had a chat with AMP, she shared that this is her last year in the Pro Peloton.

Bummer. ????

But, sounds like she is setting up a nice Cycling Hotel in Spain, worth putting on the bucket list. 

Ash was at the Tour Femmes route presentation and is quoted as saying she's looking forward to it, so I hope that means she's racing at least one more year.

7 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Ash was at the Tour Femmes route presentation and is quoted as saying she's looking forward to it, so I hope that means she's racing at least one more year.

Yeah, I noticed the quote. I hope she had a change of heart now that Le Tour Femmes is here. I'll go listen to the podcast again just to check whether I might have misinterpreted what she said. But she won't be the first or last person to rethink a decision on retirement.

Fingers crossed she can ride the Tour.

9 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Yeah, I noticed the quote. I hope she had a change of heart now that Le Tour Femmes is here. I'll go listen to the podcast again just to check whether I might have misinterpreted what she said. But she won't be the first or last person to rethink a decision on retirement.

Fingers crossed she can ride the Tour.

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/episodes/life-in-the-peloton

Look for the episode with Ashleigh.

1h04 from the start they discuss her future. 1h07:45 she says she "has one more season with SD Works".

So I misinterpreted it to mean that she is currently in her final season. So yay! Seems she will be giving it one more tilt next year.

(Nice chat to follow from the start if you have the time to kill)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 6:56 PM, 'Dale said:

EF Education First will join the Women’s WorldTour peloton in 2022 as a co-title sponsor of the long-running Tibco-SVB team.

Sauce: @CyclingTips

• 2 weeks later...

“We are impressed by the plan of the Roodhooft brothers [who manage Alpecin-Fenix, Plantur-Pura, and several cyclo-cross squads] And as a modern company we want to participate in women's cycling. We discussed that at QuickStep, but Patrick is Patrick.”

Deceuninck CEO, who now opted to sponsor Alpecin-Fenix for next 4 years

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

“We are impressed by the plan of the Roodhooft brothers [who manage Alpecin-Fenix, Plantur-Pura, and several cyclo-cross squads] And as a modern company we want to participate in women's cycling. We discussed that at QuickStep, but Patrick is Patrick.”

Deceuninck CEO, who now opted to sponsor Alpecin-Fenix for next 4 years

Seems like it took this move to force Patrick's hand as he now decides to jump on board but his way or the highway.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/12/patrick-lefevere-we-want-to-grow-the-foundations-of-womens-cycling/