Drivetrain road bike conversion

TCTG

Hi, Not sure if that is the correct way to title the request for ideas/expert advice on how to improve on a 10 speed DA7900 GS or specifically drive train (52/39 crank) and I am not sure if this topic was previously addressed?

I am thinking of changing my current 10 speed cog from 11/28 to a 11/32 or if a 10 speed 11/30 exists then that would be a preference. Would that mean a compact crank and smaller chain rings are required? Does a road10 speed 11/32 cog exist?

OR

Is there a 11 speed conversion at all possible without changing anything else besides the drive train?

Criteria for either setup is that it should be light and durable. Don't mind a mix brand of components but it must be compatible and speak to a lesser weight than my current setup.

Are these at all possible and feasible? Any part make recommendations based on this criteria for each option? Don't mind after market parts such a ZTTO 11-32 at 216g as an example. For interest sake, the OMNI Racer 11-28 Titanium Cassette weighs in at 118g but price....?

I don't have any issues with current setup...just wanting to try something new versus upgrading the entire GS or buy a complete new bike. Please share your thoughts.

You do get 32-11 Shimano 10 speed, bought one two weeks ago for my tandem. It uses a medium cage SRAM Apex 10 speed derailleur.

11 speed conversion is possible, providing the cassette will fit on the hub.

Why do you want to convert anything from DA7900 with 28-11 cassette, this sounds like fine setup.

why not change your crank chainring from a 39 to a 36 or a 34 then you dont need to change anything at the back to get the same range 

5 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

You do get 32-11 Shimano 10 speed, bought one two weeks ago for my tandem. It uses a medium cage SRAM Apex 10 speed derailleur.

11 speed conversion is possible, providing the cassette will fit on the hub.

Why do you want to convert anything from DA7900 with 28-11 cassette, this sounds like fine setup.

Thank you. I am aware of Shimano 10 speed option but will that not work with the current DA derailleur? I am thinking of a change and toying with all possibilities at this stage. Cost versus benefit.

4 hours ago, bikebloke said:

why not change your crank chainring from a 39 to a 36 or a 34 then you dont need to change anything at the back to get the same range 

Yes a worthwhile option to consider but not sure if the jump from 52 to a 36 may create problems. I suspect that I will need to change the big blade as well... basically change over to a compact crank.

4 hours ago, shaper said:

Your RD 7900 GS has a max cog of 28T.  If you want to go bigger with a 11/30 or 11/32 you will need to change the RD https://www.chainreactionga.com/product/shimano-dura-ace-rear-derailleur-76691-1.htm

Else as mentioned, change your crank to compact 50/34 or mid-compact 52/36

Thank you, i guess you answered some of my concerns in previous posts. Will do a bit more research. I am looking to learn from anyone who may have gone through this exercise already.

1 minute ago, TCTG said:

Thank you will explore this avenue. That is a spinning setup you got there.

I used an extender and comfortably ran an 11-36 cassette with an old 10 speed 105 rd with 53/39 chainrings on my steel bike. It works really well.

Re the spinning, I like options and I don't 'race' bikes so I have no need to suffer or limit my options or comfort. 50/11 is plenty for morning ride main road trains

22 minutes ago, TCTG said:

Thank you. I am aware of Shimano 10 speed option but will that not work with the current DA derailleur? I am thinking of a change and toying with all possibilities at this stage. Cost versus benefit.

I have used the hanger extender on a couple of bikes. It works very well. They are super cheap on Aliexpress.com if you can wait two months.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I used an extender and comfortably ran an 11-36 cassette with an old 10 speed 105 rd with 53/39 chainrings on my steel bike. It works really well.

Re the spinning, I like options and I don't 'race' bikes so I have no need to suffer or limit my options or comfort. 50/11 is plenty for morning ride main road trains

So this extender unit is usable/adaptable on any GS e.g 8,9,10 speed? Definitely will use it on wife's bike...the one she seldom rides????. It may encourage her to ride more often.

9 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

I have used the hanger extender on a couple of bikes. It works very well. They are super cheap on Aliexpress.com if you can wait two months.

Rapide version at R219 is not a bad price at all.....Alieexpress is a roll of he dice with regards to quality.

1 hour ago, TCTG said:

Rapide version at R219 is not a bad price at all.....Alieexpress is a roll of he dice with regards to quality.

They less than R20 each. The ones I bought are fine. Generally Aliexpress hangers are pretty good. There's not much tech in a hanger.