KarooBurn 2022 - Advice & Tips

white tiger

Hi 

In a moment of madness, weakness and/or inspiration I've entered the KarooBurn 2022....????

I've done the 361MTB half twice and I've just done the Race to the Sea.

All of the above I completed fairly easily.

The Half 361 races, I thought were "easier" than the Race to the Sea.

At Race to the Sea there was a serious head wind on the last 45km of the race which made this very interesting and challenging.

Any training tips. Tips on nutrition and general tips what to do and what not will be highly appreciated.

Some "insight" from guys that have done the race before would also be nice....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really give advice as I haven't done it but I heard the previous version was very tough with high temperatures and strong headwinds - loads of people didn't finish. So prepare for a step up from 361Half and R2S

Also the Tankwa Karoo roads can be very corrugated, I would suggest using a full suspension bike if you have one.

14 hours ago, white tiger said:

Hi 

In a moment of madness, weakness and/or inspiration I've entered the KarooBurn 2022....????

I've done the 361MTB half twice and I've just done the Race to the Sea.

All of the above I completed fairly easily.

The Half 361 races, I thought were "easier" than the Race to the Sea.

At Race to the Sea there was a serious head wind on the last 45km of the race which made this very interesting and challenging.

Any training tips. Tips on nutrition and general tips what to do and what not will be highly appreciated.

Some "insight" from guys that have done the race before would also be nice....

Tiger,

A few rules of thumb will apply to this race(my opinion):

1) The "burn" comes after 170km, hence you need your tiger in the tank from there on up Katbakkies and beyond(70km to go).

2) Do not overcook the first 170km, since it will cost you dearly. Naturally one would tend to send it due to the relatively flat terrain.

3) First 140km - eat like an ethiopian camel after a hunger strike and focus on a predominantly liquid fuel regime from 150km. Hydrate properly from the start. The heat will take it's pound of flesh ????

4) Follow the same training program that have worked for you on the 36ONE on Race2C.

Good luck ????

• 3 months later...

I have a Canyon Grizl with suspension and a normal MTB dual suss! I'm not sure whether the Gravel Bike will suit this race or should I play it safe and use the MTB?? I note that the last race in 2020? only two riders rode a gravel but doubt they had any suspension? 

1 hour ago, Moer said:

I have a Canyon Grizl with suspension and a normal MTB dual suss! I'm not sure whether the Gravel Bike will suit this race or should I play it safe and use the MTB?? I note that the last race in 2020? only two riders rode a gravel but doubt they had any suspension? 

I did a bike tour a bit south of there in September last year and the roads were very corrugated with a lot of thick sand. Two of the okes on the tour had gravel bikes and they kakked off hard. If the gravel roads for the race are anything like the others in the Tankwa I would definitely recommend a dual suss over a gravel bike.

12 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Throw away the gravel bike. You welcome. Have a good day. 😃

hahahahaha

burn at the stake.

Heat training. and the ability to suck it up and understand there is going to be ups and downs and the downs pass. 

Unless if it is a head wind. head winds dont pass.

oh and a 12.1 avg speed to finish is harder than people realize.

:)

1 minute ago, copperhead said:

Passed a guy on a gravel bike this morning. While he grunted at me it looked like he was having a colonoscopy. Just stay at home if you not aiyoba. 

HAHAHA.

Setup tires and will power   also depends on gearing

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic but this is the most recent vaguely related thread.

Long story short. I bought entries in December. As I earn a salary that a person that wears shorts and t-shirts to work does, I would have to wait until January to get the add ons. No problem.

Payday comes and literally the only accommodation left in Calvinia is the last room in the hostel. Again no problem. Accommodation at the finish, sold out. Fine, I will either sleep in the bush or go wake up Tannie Rolene* in Prince Alfred Hamlet at god-knows whatever time we finish.

Car Drive Service, sold out. Make contact with Wetsky* wait forever for a response. Ignore my question and pretty much tell me what I already know. It is sold out. No alternatives. I am sure the last thing I will feel like is having to get on my bike and cycle back to Calvinia to get my loaner vehicle.

Am I allowed to feel slightly annoyed by this or am I wrong?

*Some names have been changed to protect people's identities

Lets chat gearing ....

I'm running SRAM 32 - 10/50 12sp

Do you think for this ride it will be beneficial to change to a 34?

1 hour ago, BMCfan said:

Lets chat gearing ....

I'm running SRAM 32 - 10/50 12sp

Do you think for this ride it will be beneficial to change to a 34?

Depends on how much that little climb at the end bothers you... I think the first half will be fast and furious and you might run out of gears, unless you are comfortable at spinning your legs at 140rpm... I'm running a 36T up front and I have my doubts of making it to the top of Katbakkies in one piece. If you are a reasonable climber I think a 34T will work/be a good compromise.

5 minutes ago, sias said:

Depends on how much that little climb at the end bothers you... I think the first half will be fast and furious and you might run out of gears, unless you are comfortable at spinning your legs at 140rpm... I'm running a 36T up front and I have my doubts of making it to the top of Katbakkies in one piece. If you are a reasonable climber I think a 34T will work/be a good compromise.

Assuming that the person thinking about a 36T is someone that is used to riding with a 36T then I would stick with that, think you will win more time on the 200km open roads & downhills than what you will lose on the one massive climb.

Shouldn't this event be the proper Tankwa Trek? This is the event my heart longs to do, but my legs and lungs refuse point blank

3 hours ago, sias said:

Thanks Sias, i made the call. Going to put on a 34.

I reckon i hardly use the 50, so with the 34T in the front it should be good enough for Katbakkies. 

Dit en ek is gelukkig nie bang vir stap opdraend nie 😜