• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, olmec said:

https://on.windy.com/675n2

Thoughts on the wind?

Looks like it's mainly from over our right shoulders or directly from behind until we turn west towards katbakkies. Should be a fast first 170km...

And the Swedes forecast a max of 30-33°C for the day.

Edited by sias

Folks, my support driver has bailed.

Is there anyone I can catch a lift with from Ceres to Calvinia? Or anyone who could help with driving my car from Calvinia to Ceres on Saturday?

4 hours ago, olmec said:

Folks, my support driver has bailed.

Is there anyone I can catch a lift with from Ceres to Calvinia? Or anyone who could help with driving my car from Calvinia to Ceres on Saturday?

hey, I was offered a car drive service today but I already made a plan. I can try put you in touch? 

2 hours ago, Ari SW said:

hey, I was offered a car drive service today but I already made a plan. I can try put you in touch? 

Yes please.  DM sent.

Thanks for the tips guys. A riding buddy and myself got a entry to substitute yesterday. Obviously did not train or plan for this, but what the hell. We’ll just wing it and trust on the good old muscle memory thing! At least our wife's have the whole day to explore/road trip. On the topic of gearing 32 front 11/46 11spd. Steel hardtail with 120mm fork and 29x2,6 tyres. Good luck to all.

Just a little teaser,

My brother met a ballie when he dropped his bike off at the bike shop on monday... The dude is also doing karoo burn... he said there is a "small" 24km section of soft sand.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, Ari SW said:

Just a little teaser,

My brother met a ballie when he dropped his bike off at the bike shop on monday... The dude is also doing karoo burn... he said there is a "small" 24km section of soft sand.

he must be confused with another section or a farmer made upgrades or the recent rains and traffic compacted it nicely. But yassis that was brutal on the unprepared body. There is just something special about riding through the cederberg & tankwa regions, dry with nothing for miles but oh so beautiful.

I did it on a gravel bike. Unless you have a ripped core and Popeye arms I would suggest MTB. I was crying out in pain after about 170km every time I hit some corrugations, but I am admittedly noodle armed and struggle doing more than 2 sit ups. 

Edited by Ari SW

1 minute ago, Ari SW said:

I did it on a gravel bike. Unless you have a ripped core and Popeye arms I would suggest MTB. 

Definitely no ripped core or popeye arms and I'm the opposite of tough

as matter of interest what gravel bike and how wide were your tyres?

Surly Karate Monkey and 42c. In hindsight bigger tyres would have made a massive difference but the budget did not allow for it at the time.  

18 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

this looks amazing

Sp whats the verdict, gravel bike or MTB?

mtb definitely MTB