Wine2Whales 2021

Warrenlee

I couldn't find a thread on this year's Wine2Whales so I thought I would go ahead and create it.

We are doing our first one this year (riding the chardonnay) and I cannot contain my excitement! I have heard countless stories of how amazing the event is.

I think the most daunting part for me is the camping side of things. What to take, what not to take etc. 

Really excited for the cycling though! 

#gees 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take the essentials for camping, the only time you spend in the tent is to sleep really. The evenings you'll be in the dining hall chatting and having a few drinks. Enjoy!

You will all have a ball! For the first timers less is more. I can remember my first stage race and taking the entire kitchen sink. ???? Really not necessary!

Pack your riding clothes into daily packets. That way there is no hunting around for everything in the cramped confounds of your tent and keeps things nice and neat!

Sleeping bag and pillow!! Ear plugs dont work for me but you can try. Hope the guy in the tent next door doesnt snore! ????‍♂️

Some nice comfy clothes to relax in afterwards and some warm clothing just in case. Check out the weather forecast ahead of the time!

Most importantly just have fun! Its a blast! 

Edited by Fitbull
Spelling

I do not want to high jack the thread, but every body rave about any race , stage race or a day event and telling about the the blast they had , stopping halfway and taking pictures and enjoying the scenery etc etc.......how come don't I share the same sentiment , I try to be fairly good prepared for the race/event but at the end it is still fairly tough for me. Before you ask I am not a racing snake I am a mid pack rider, I basically just plod along and finish the event. I did Ride the Karoo a few weeks back and when walking past people at the showers/downing hall/ bar I wonder if they all feel as stuffed as I feel? I just want to get in the shade and sleep till the next day, then you get people really partying till very late and next day they are back on their bikes hitting the road as if nothing happened...........WHAT am I doing wrong??......????

This will be my second Wines2Whales after taking part in 2016 - main reason for entering was the opportunity to ride he route in reverse and experience something different as it seems a bit overkill on the pocket to do the same thing year in and year out. 

Should be interesting as I am away for a wedding the week preceding so will have 4 days to reignite the legs again - coach assures me I should be fine but proof will be in the pudding ????

I was somehow convinced to take part this year, which will be my first W2W.

I've done a couple of other events, but I have not done a stage race or any serious racing since 2015. My annual mileage has taken a serious dip over the last 2 years not even making 800km with working late hours and getting up for toddlers taking priority.. I've been riding trails and doing the odd Enduro race which has been great, no pressure, and fun. But some mates are doing the W2W and needed a 4th, although I'm quite cash strapped at the moment, plans were made and I'm in! The thing that scared me more, was that I was on a all-time low with regard to fitness and there is nothing worse than being the weakest link!

Knowing how I would suffer in my state at the time I have tried to get on the bike for at least 2 hours most Saturdays and Sundays. The thing that got me the most was how my body would just be empty some Saturdays.. feeling tired before starting the ride. Ive had to starto looking at my sleep patterns and eating more regularly. I'm glad to say my fitness is slowly starting to resurface. I can at least ride for quite a long time at an ok pace. Don't ask me to follow wheels and get the HR up though. None the less It has been refreshing rediscovering some longer riding again, feeling fitter and I have turned my 150mm Enduro bike into a 12.5kg Down Country machine! 

2 more weekends of big miles and then ease into the last week. (We are doing the Chardonnay) Pitty the Jonkershoek Enduro is the week before the race, As I've adapted my bike a bit for the distance stuff, and I don't really want to risk crashing the week before the race. 

49 minutes ago, Bos said:

I have turned my 150mm Enduro bike into a 12.5kg Down Country machine! 

Would be interested to hear some details on what you've done. My current rig is sitting at around 15kg's with 2.6 & 2.5 Maxxis on and I'm dreading dragging it from the Whales to the Wine! 

58 minutes ago, TYGA said:

Would be interested to hear some details on what you've done. My current rig is sitting at around 15kg's with 2.6 & 2.5 Maxxis on and I'm dreading dragging it from the Whales to the Wine! 

So I have a 2nd wheelset which takes a kg off the weight. And the bike feels completely different. One  wheelset  has 30mm rims with 2.5 DHF the other American Classic with light rims and 2.25 icons. 

Then, second biggest thing. I've taken the new Debonair spring out and reverted back to the older one with the bigger negative spring. It has much more small bump sensitivity which is good for longer rides. (Harsher on big bumps though so will change back for Enduro)

I have been doing all my rides with a stock cockpit 50mm stem and 780mm bars. So last night I installed a 70mm stem and 740mm bar. I was feeling cramped when trying to go aero on flats. So will how big the difference is.