Wine2Whales 2021

Warrenlee

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be my 2nd W2W after 2019 and really looking forward to this. I have ridden some sections of the 2021 switchback route and I can tell you now that they didn't name it the switchback for nothing.

I rode the wet 2019 version of this race (chardonnay) 

it was awesome! the rain made for extra gees!

i am now again doing the Chardonnay - two reasons. i don't want to get sucked into racing the event. i rather want to ride it fairly hard and just enjoy the surrounds!

We actually very privileged to have gotten the entry to W2W by winning Squirt competition on Instagram! 

It was so funny we were on a ride and after seeing the w2w logo on someone's shirt discuss how awesome it would be to ride the event. I got home to find a few missed calls and a message from the lady at Squirt. 

We have come out of Trans Baviaans so the fitness levels are exactly where they need to be. 

I still can't believe that we are actually going! I'm struggling to contain my excitement! Reading this thread just makes me so much more excited! 

11 hours ago, Warrenlee said:

We actually very privileged to have gotten the entry to W2W by winning Squirt competition on Instagram! 

It was so funny we were on a ride and after seeing the w2w logo on someone's shirt discuss how awesome it would be to ride the event. I got home to find a few missed calls and a message from the lady at Squirt. 

We have come out of Trans Baviaans so the fitness levels are exactly where they need to be. 

I still can't believe that we are actually going! I'm struggling to contain my excitement! Reading this thread just makes me so much more excited! 

That's brilliant, well done and enjoy it! 

I was also fortunate enough to win entries to W2W in past years. I wouldn't have done it otherwise. I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

Its interesting to note this must be one of very few events in the country that everyone who's done it only has only good things to say about it. 

The struggle these events companies face is that you can never make everybody happy. Somebody is always going to complain about something. It appears W2W is the exception. 

I can hardly wait! 

I haven't done a Wines2Whales since Epic took over - can anyone comment on how the experience has differed to before/after the acquisition?

1 minute ago, Cookie88 said:

I haven't done a Wines2Whales since Epic took over - can anyone comment on how the experience has differed to before/after the acquisition?

Friend did a couple before, then one on the year of the take over .... Their group was doing the "casual ride" and were there to have fun.

The added fan-fare and nightly presentations put them off completely.  Was it this, or the fast increasing costs that put them off ??  Either way, that was their last W2W.

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Friend did a couple before, then one on the year of the take over .... Their group was doing the "casual ride" and were there to have fun.

The added fan-fare and nightly presentations put them off completely.  Was it this, or the fast increasing costs that put them off ??  Either way, that was their last W2W.

Interesting... My last was in 2016 and I have fond memories of doing what was called the 'Adventure' then.  My main motivation for entering this year is the novelty of doing it in reverse and the accompanying work that has gone into the new trails. That aside though, will be curious to hear other opinions here on how people have people have found the change since the acquisition?

On 10/13/2021 at 2:02 PM, Cookie88 said:

This will be my second Wines2Whales after taking part in 2016 - main reason for entering was the opportunity to ride he route in reverse and experience something different as it seems a bit overkill on the pocket to do the same thing year in and year out. 

Should be interesting as I am away for a wedding the week preceding so will have 4 days to reignite the legs again - coach assures me I should be fine but proof will be in the pudding ????

YOU HAVE A COACH?

All I have is a couch.

28 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

I didn’t experience any notable differences other than having to deal with some roc back office people with exceptional low interpersonal skills. The previous owners had much more customer focused staff. The core staff of w2w are much the same 

8 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

Interesting... My last was in 2016 and I have fond memories of doing what was called the 'Adventure' then.  My main motivation for entering this year is the novelty of doing it in reverse and the accompanying work that has gone into the new trails. That aside though, will be curious to hear other opinions here on how people have people have found the change since the acquisition?

Jaco also did the 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Cant recall now if 2018 or 2019 was their last ride.  

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Help.Me. said:

I do not want to high jack the thread, but every body rave about any race , stage race or a day event and telling about the the blast they had , stopping halfway and taking pictures and enjoying the scenery etc etc.......how come don't I share the same sentiment , I try to be fairly good prepared for the race/event but at the end it is still fairly tough for me. Before you ask I am not a racing snake I am a mid pack rider, I basically just plod along and finish the event. I did Ride the Karoo a few weeks back and when walking past people at the showers/downing hall/ bar I wonder if they all feel as stuffed as I feel? I just want to get in the shade and sleep till the next day, then you get people really partying till very late and next day they are back on their bikes hitting the road as if nothing happened...........WHAT am I doing wrong??......????

Are you eating and drinking enough on the bike? What do you take for recovery after each ride?