Wine2Whales 2021

Warrenlee

1 hour ago, Cookie88 said:

Interesting... My last was in 2016 and I have fond memories of doing what was called the 'Adventure' then.  My main motivation for entering this year is the novelty of doing it in reverse and the accompanying work that has gone into the new trails. That aside though, will be curious to hear other opinions here on how people have people have found the change since the acquisition?

Since I have not done the normal route, how do you expect the switchback route will be? uphill? 

Rotary drive at the start will be quite the wakeup call. I will be honnest. I don't know the route at all. I've done the Hemel and Aarde trails lots, but I have the feeling we wont even be riding there. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to ride Adventure, now Chardonnay, in 2015, 16, 17, 18 and the wet 2019. One was terribly windy on day 1, serious heat on another, but always so enjoyable. I’m one of those guys that just enjoys it it all and appreciate just not being at work, but riding my bike with likeminded people. Can’t say I’ve noticed too much different. 

Just ride, smile, suffer up Kat Pas, and enjoy a cold one after it all, and the banter, just love that! 

23 minutes ago, Bos said:

Since I have not done the normal route, how do you expect the switchback route will be? uphill? 

Rotary drive at the start will be quite the wakeup call. I will be honnest. I don't know the route at all. I've done the Hemel and Aarde trails lots, but I have the feeling we wont even be riding there. 

Mmm... I don't think there is anymore climbing, maybe marginally - the climb up Rotary Way is a good idea since it'll split the pairs up. You miss most of the bottom Hemel & Aarde Trails and dissect them on the route it seems. If you haven't done this before you are in for a treat - it's a beautiful part of the world!

24 minutes ago, wessie12 said:

I see provisional seedings is out on the website.  Excitement is building up 

I see they use SASeeding. Does anyone have any idea how to see your SASeeding index and what races they used?

Hi, partner and I are looking for a Chardonnay entry, please direct email message me if you have one to sell. 
g.fataar@mweb.co.za 

2 hours ago, wessie12 said:

I see provisional seedings is out on the website.  Excitement is building up 

Where did you see this? I went to look on the website but couldnt find it.

Oh My.. We are right back in K.. probably because I have done zero races for 3-4 years suddenly very grateful for the non technical start. 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, TYGA said:

Would be interested to hear some details on what you've done. My current rig is sitting at around 15kg's with 2.6 & 2.5 Maxxis on and I'm dreading dragging it from the Whales to the Wine! 

I am doing my first W2W this year. (Pinotage) I have an Sworks Enduro, so its a bit lighter at 12.5kg. (160 up front and 165 rear) I had 2.6 Eliminator tyres on the front and the back and recently put a Maxxis Rekon on the back which made a difference, so I am going to put the Rekon up front and an Ikon at the back. I am also changing the 30 chainring to a 32 Oval. 

On 10/15/2021 at 7:43 PM, TDFN said:

Woner what other routes they are going to use now that Lebanon is off limits due to land invasion.
https://www.facebook.com/LebanonMtbTrails/

W2W won't go to the Houwteq side of the N2 where the squatter camp is. They'll go from Houw Hoek to Paul Cluver and just stay on the Mountain's side of the road and will be fine. 

TBH I don't think W2W has been in the affected Lebanon trails in years. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Help.Me. said:

I do not want to high jack the thread, but every body rave about any race , stage race or a day event and telling about the the blast they had , stopping halfway and taking pictures and enjoying the scenery etc etc.......how come don't I share the same sentiment , I try to be fairly good prepared for the race/event but at the end it is still fairly tough for me. Before you ask I am not a racing snake I am a mid pack rider, I basically just plod along and finish the event. I did Ride the Karoo a few weeks back and when walking past people at the showers/downing hall/ bar I wonder if they all feel as stuffed as I feel? I just want to get in the shade and sleep till the next day, then you get people really partying till very late and next day they are back on their bikes hitting the road as if nothing happened...........WHAT am I doing wrong??......????

Just like cycling fitness, partying  and drinking requires training too to stay ahead. Otherwise you’ll just crash and burn like a nun that walked into woodstock. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Help.Me. said:

I do not want to high jack the thread, but every body rave about any race , stage race or a day event and telling about the the blast they had , stopping halfway and taking pictures and enjoying the scenery etc etc.......how come don't I share the same sentiment , I try to be fairly good prepared for the race/event but at the end it is still fairly tough for me. Before you ask I am not a racing snake I am a mid pack rider, I basically just plod along and finish the event. I did Ride the Karoo a few weeks back and when walking past people at the showers/downing hall/ bar I wonder if they all feel as stuffed as I feel? I just want to get in the shade and sleep till the next day, then you get people really partying till very late and next day they are back on their bikes hitting the road as if nothing happened...........WHAT am I doing wrong??......????

It helps if you have a few good mates doing the event with you.. sharing warstories from the race over a few beers afterwards will get your spirit back up quickly!

At the previous Karoo2Coast we spent just over 4 hours on the bike, and close to 6 hours in the beer tent afterwards..but there a bottle of tequila got involved at some point.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, ACE Cycles said:

Are you eating and drinking enough on the bike? What do you take for recovery after each ride? 

Hi ACE Cycles , when doing my longer training rides(3-4 hours) i normally take water and a banana, we will stop halfway and do a coffee and scone , when home i will have the usual chocolate milk and then a normal lunch or what ever. I am never that stuffed after my long rides compared to doing a "race/adventure". I am open for suggestions , i did take Game on Ride the Karroo and we indulge  at every water point........... 

On 10/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, ChrisF said:

Friend did a couple before, then one on the year of the take over .... Their group was doing the "casual ride" and were there to have fun.

The added fan-fare and nightly presentations put them off completely.  Was it this, or the fast increasing costs that put them off ??  Either way, that was their last W2W.

No real change, and the nightly presentations have always been part of w2w long before the Epic take over...