Absa Cape Epic 2021 thread

Shebeen

you know it has been touch and go if the world's biggest mtb stage race doesn't even get a thread the week before it's on.

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/search/?&q="cape epic"&quick=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

I'm sure all involved will breathe a huge sigh of relief if they can get through it without incident. Let's hope they do, but until then here's a place to chat about it.

route- same as the last minute cancelled 2020 won

who's riding? the pro field have been announced elsewhere and linked here, there will be some last minute changes no doubt.

the rest? here are the prologue list

https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2021-race/prologue-start-times

rough look

mixed 25
men 128
women 12
masters 75
GMasters 51

South Africa 325
 Switzerland 35
 Spain 32
Germany 28
 Belgium 24
 Italy 23
 USA 18
 Netherlands 16
 Austria 9
 Namibia 8
 Sweden 7
 France 7
 Czech Republic 5
 Brazil 4
 England 4
 Denmark 4

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest butt hurt of Alan's withdrawal is that Henrique isn't prepared to step in. Manny is out with a fractured wrist, Simon out with an op. There stwo perfectly good riders still healthy in that team and both placed highly in the overall so it would be a no brainer for the win.

its basically matt and Jordan's race to lose.

47 minutes ago, Headshot said:

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The biggest butt hurt of Alan's withdrawal is that Henrique isn't prepared to step in. Manny is out with a fractured wrist, Simon out with an op. There stwo perfectly good riders still healthy in that team and both placed highly in the overall so it would be a no brainer for the win.

Was it a possibility that Avancini could get here in time and be race ready?

or howabout the PON/Dorel deal bringing in a Focus rider, Florian vogel knows his way around the WCape

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

You gotta go to a Canadian site to get news of CFR's exit from the Epic ?!?!?

I almost felt like creating my own podcast to get my daily cycling news fix..... but who's going to listen to a nobody speaking to himself about the world's greatest MTB race with the world's worst media coverage?

2 hours ago, eala said:

Prepared ,healthy and excited for eight days of mountain biking .My partner and I will be using the full allotted time to take everything in  .Weather is looking really good !

ENJOY :thumbup:

We were fortunate enough to ride a small section of the Epic trails on Saturday at Eselfontein.  I have a new found RESPECT for people that can do that for 8 days in a row.  

On 10/13/2021 at 2:55 PM, Shebeen said:

kicks off this sunday image.png.8f99a02d4195b47b85dbcafb1753a50b.png

Is it on TV? Plum Pudding is always good for some entertainment.

7 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Is it on TV? Plum Pudding is always good for some entertainment.

LIVE on youtube me thinks... subscribed to something like that

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I dunno man but I recon Avacini isn't the type of dude everyone wants to play ball with... maybe best for Alan not to partner up with him.

Spez team will be up there but def wont be their race to lose. I recon the bulls, bluff scott and trek teams will be up there too.

anyway I'll be there and hopefully give some feedback here 

Mental preparation for the world's biggest MTB stage is integral, never mind the physiological peaking. Very difficult to just 'switch on' especially as Avancini is usually faaaar away from home racing in Euroland (or in Tokyo). Right now, not 12 Argentinian wild horses could drag him to the Epic as he is likely chilling hard with his clan under the Brazilian sun.

Edited by 'Dale

Are there recommended spectator spots to watch the race on Sunday? 

I am keen to go watch the action.